Featured WWII Love Letters To Helene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Jan 30, 2024.

1. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

@stracci a very big thank you! at first I thought it was a thing, then the last page I thought a person, so Quentin, a person! Who is obviously a bit of a trouble maker or Herman is a follower. But he loves her.

stracci likes this.
  2. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Oh, now I see so it is a where! Thank you!!

stracci likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I hate to say this but I think Herm has a problem with alcohol and Helene doesn't like it.
    It doesn't bode too well for their future if I'm right.

Happy!, stracci and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Hmmm....I thought Quentin was a person. Yes, you have the area where they lived, close enough, not exact. Good knowledge of the area!

stracci and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The thunder clap was like a sudden sonic boom...extremely loud. Her bad heart would have given way sooner or later, sadly.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

He does sound like a drinker at times. Must have been a really rough crowd in Quentin. My dad's side were drinkers, unfortunately. You have to remember the times....they just couldn't have a drink most of the time, so when on leave, I am sure many overdid it. Talking to my uncle, a Kamikaze survivor st age 19, he would tell me about his shore leaves (my family were Navy vet's on dad's side.) He hated San Diego, loved San Francisco. Said the cops never bothered the service men in San Fran, but were a pain in San Diego.

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lumii_20240213_144952864.jpg
    They were just ill....Charlotte got better, we nicknamed Louie Snork because he was always stuffed up. We had steamy showers with eucalyptus tabs, kept him in the room when we showered, then nasal and eye drops, then a suction thing for his nose. When they took Louie out of the shelter cage, I was done. I fell in love first sight, hubby loved Charlotte.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  8. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Today’s soldiers are no different. Especially when deployed to a “dry” country. My son recently came home from a mission & said he missed having a glass of wine. He took his R&R in Dubai, which he said he thoroughly enjoyed. He lives in San Diego & is about to sell his house within a year as he will be transferred for promotion to San Francisco.

Marko likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Bless you Marko....!

10. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I never met a kitty or a dog I haven’t liked. With the exception of small toy dogs not a big fan of. Yappers scare me.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Some of those shore leaves were legendary. I met guys in their 70s here with tats on their arms from WWII - souvenirs of one drunken leave or another. My late dad was in the army during Korea. He never did drink and when he got leave, he was only a train ride away from home. Home he went. Spent his money on trains. :)

komokwa likes this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

You should have seen Unc's tats.

13. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

My eldest, got his first stationed in Arizona. He wasn’t going to tell me (we are Jewish) except he put it on my credit card.

14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

My uncle was near his time at the long-term care facility. A nurse was examining his foot and exclaimed "I found something!" I was alarmed, but she said "It's a rooster." That was a tattoo I didn't know he had. Being a sailor, I am sure that a joke was involved.

Researching just now, I found this:
    https://www.tattoodo.com/articles/a-maritime-classic-the-pig-and-rooster-tattoo-5023

NanaB, LauraGarnet02 and komokwa like this.
  15. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Now that makes sense. A good luck charm albeit a permanent one.

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have learned a lot researching things because of the love letters.

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the younger generations of Jewish people are getting tattos....here in South Jersey, a lot of people have them,including my brother. My father did not have any and told us to avoid them.

NanaB likes this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

We lived in a rural area where people dropped off unwanted pets. Dad loved big dogs, but one day he came home with a little chihuahua he found. She was older, a bit yappy, but so lovey. We named her Tiny. Dad was a big softie, too.

Happy! likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bet she bossed the big guys around.

Oops. An observant Jew wouldn't have one. OTOH if he was in the Navy or Marines all bets are off.

komokwa, NanaB and Marko like this.
  20. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

My Grandparents were very observant. I am more along the lines of reform. I promised them I would never have them. My kids, well they are a whole different generation. My kids & husband all Army. Funny, both my kids & hubbys 1st’s were Jewish related one the Star of David the other a Hebrew prayer. Both convinced my husband to get one for his 60th; so he did when we only had 2 Grandkids, now we have 3 so we are trying to figure out how to add the 3rd to a Hebrew scroll. I spoke to a Rabbi about tattoos & she said things change with time, and it is an understanding that as we moved forward we learn new things, & as Jews acceptance of all & they can still be buried as Jews. That was actually my concern; considering my kids deployed during “conflict” time. Amongst service members in any branch they are popular now as a way to show support & expression & memorials, etc. especially if they lost a fellow soldier (my eldest did.)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted