Featured WWII Love Letters To Helene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Marko, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, kitty cat and vet issues delayed my letters. Letters 15 & 16, tomorrow the last letter, #17....then what I found out about all the parties on Valentine's Day.
    Lumii_20240212_185852585.jpg
    Lumii_20240212_185901057.jpg
    Lumii_20240212_185915412.jpg
    Lumii_20240212_185933929.jpg

Bakersgma, stracci and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Bronwen, Bakersgma and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

At least Herman is back in this installment.
    Were these three guys stateside the entire war?

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

In one letter, Herman mentions guys going over a hill and not all of them came back.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Gee wiz, I was really rooting for Herm.:sorry:

6. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Hmmmm Herman is back.

7. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Me too.

stracci likes this.
  8. stracci

Just judging from his letters, Herm seems vivacious, passionate and kindhearted.
    Maybe she messed up by blowing him off.

Marko likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Enough about poor Herm though. What's this about a kitty cat?

Marko and NanaB like this.
  10. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I hope kitty is ok.

Marko likes this.
  11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Domino, or Dommie as we call him, had anal sac issues, so he had anal gland surgery to remove them last Thursday. On Saturday, he was so listless I took him to an emergency vet at 11 pm and they gave him an anti-inflammatory shot with two more daily pill doses for the next two days. Monday, we took him back to our vet who did the surgery and he switched up his meds to ease gastro issues. Today he is upstairs with his sisters for the first time since surgery.

The kitty story is quite long. We lost our Fangus in June, so we adopted a bonded brother sister black kittens, Charlotte and Louie. We loved them to pieces; they had URIs when we adopted them, Louie's left eye had issues and his URI was chronic. We lost Charlotte in September after a loud thunder clap scared her, she went into cardiac arrest, died in my arms just as we reached the ER vet. We let the shelter know; they later contacted us another kitten from that litter passed the same way. We lost Louie on January 2, same way. The kittens had congenital heart defects. Louie was the most special cat we ever had- he was more like a puppy. He played fetch with his toy springs and had a vest halter and hubby took him for walks. We had gotten Dommie after Charlotte passed because Louie was inconsolable. Now Dommie was all alone, so we went to the shelter to get him a companion kitty. Hubby loved Tashi, I loved Lucy. I told him to choose one. He asked if we could take both girls ( he's a big softie), so I sighed and agreed. Tashi had a bad spay at the shelter, had two holes in her abdomen. Our vet is amazing, she is fine now. I am posting pics of all of them. Dommie is recovering nicely.

Happy! and komokwa like this.
  12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Fangus
    Lumii_20240213_120547577.jpg
    Charlotte
    Lumii_20240213_120622454.jpg
    Louie
    Lumii_20240213_120646889.jpg
    Dommie
    Lumii_20240213_120813193.jpg
    Tashi
    Lumii_20240213_121117022.jpg
    Lucy
    Lumii_20240213_121043566.jpg

Happy!, Bronwen, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

Good show. Thank you ... and kittie pix! I have a soft spot for tuxies, even if they're always a little loco.

Marko likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Tuxies are my favorite.

Happy! likes this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

This is letter #17, the last letter to Helene. Post what you think happened...I promise to let you know what I found out about the people involved tomorrow.
    Lumii_20240213_122756881.jpg
    Lumii_20240213_123001531.jpg
    Lumii_20240213_123049232.jpg

stracci likes this.
  16. evelyb30

No question about how Herm felt!

17. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Ok, so the war had ended & he was still in, waiting to be discharged. I cant decipher the word in the 4th sentence, (7 lines down all the way on the left first word) he mentions it again towards the end same word I believe I cant make out, where he says we will stay away from ( maybe it is a person?) so help please!
    Marko, those Kitties are so precious. After we lost our last one about 2 years ago who was a very large ,special needs cat in every sense that you can think of. My husband has not wanted to adopt anymore, he said he is getting too old, to mourn them, we both get very attached, but this one was seriously a special needs cat, he ran me my husband and our house. It is my hope that he comes around I have always had a kitty or two & I miss that.

Happy!, Marko and stracci like this.
  18. stracci

What/who is this troublemakin' Quentin?

I'm gonna be sad if they don't get hitched.

In addition, those kitties!!!
    Omg, I can't believe cats die from being scared!
    That is the saddest thing.
    @Marko, It's so wonderful of you to adopt special needs kitties!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  19. stracci

Quentin?

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It isn't "who", it's where. Quentin is a town close to Rexmont where we now know that Helene and Herm both live when they are home.

stracci likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted