Featured Wood and lacquer desk tidy

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 21, 2023.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you were right about 100%.......I shot from the hip......and on 2nd sober thought....actually meant abalone......but said mop......... cuz I was all happy with myself !!

:sorry::sorry::sorry::sorry:

Aquitaine and Chinoiserie like this.
  2. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

It will be okay when the fog lifts

komokwa likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How is the nacre of abalone not in the category of mother of pearl? Is MOP from some mollusks and not from others that also have nacreous shells? I never get this distinction.

And we all know the fog comes on little cat feet.

4. komokwa

you'll luv this....

Mother of pearl is the iridescent substance that forms the inner layer of the shell of some mollusks, while abalone is a type of mollusk that produces mother of pearl.

the nitty...

the two substances are very different in appearance: abalone's nacre gives off a darker incandescence with wild greens and blues, while mother of pearl's radiance primarily contains whites, creams, and ivories.

but mostly....

https://www.rockngem.com/abalone-vs-mother-of-pearl/

Figtree3, Chinoiserie and Bronwen like this.
  5. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

We ate lots of abalone in N. Cal when I was a kid.Alas,abalone,like coromadel was almost harvested to extinction.
    PS-Komo,yr collection's eye-poppin' & mind-blowin' ! Just one of those Northcoast masterpieces would be the cherry on my collectors life.

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I guess I misunderstood komo's post that I quoted above, I thought he was saying that Chin's item was abalone... which I think it is. :)

Chinoiserie and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

that's cool......I was coming down on the side of abalone......in my own confusing way !!!:wacky::wacky::oops:

Chinoiserie and bluumz like this.
  8. komokwa

Thank you.....I've been lucky to have cycled thru a bowl of cherries...! , and still retain a fruit cocktail .........with a lemon or two !!!:hilarious:

Chinoiserie likes this.
  9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

'Fish flavoured shoe leather.' Lovely.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the organizer, Chin. The fog looks a bit out of place, but I think it is supposed to be there.
    I don't either. It is all MOP to me, but sometimes it is possible to specify, for instance nautilus, or the more distinct species of abalone, like paua.
    This inlay looks like it could be one of the lighter (sub)species of abalone, but it could be one of countless other molluscs.

In this case I would stay on safe side and use the umbrella term MOP. Which covers all species imo.
    White abalone can be this very pale shade, as can some other abalone (sub)species.

Draft saved Draft deleted