Why didn't I Get these?!?! 2 Marcel Dyf paintings!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 23, 2014.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the suggestion about perusing auction catalogs (electronic or otherwise) is an excellent one. I first got really interested in paintings by getting the catalogs from the Toomey Treadway auctions. I was already interested in, collecting, and dealing in arts and crafts period decorative arts so the extension to fine art compatible with the movement was a logical one. I actually attended several of their auctions and bid on several paintings but did not win any. I looked at what I liked and researched the artists and other of their works available or sold. I went to museums and looked at art. I looked at a lot of art on ebay and researched those artists. What I got from all this was the idea that there was some nice art out there by listed artists that was not all that expensive.

After spending some time doing this without buying anything, I took $1200.00 and began buying paintings on ebay. I think I bought about 20 over a 4 or 5 month period. The most expensive one was $275.00. Now, some 500 paintings later, I still have some of these first purchases. The others, I turned for a profit and reinvested the money into more works. The key to all this was the research.

Today, it is a lot easier to do art research (I actually went out and bought a $400.00 edition of Davenport's). There are a myriad of sources available on-line. Most are free to some extent, providing some basic content and charging for more extensive content. I find that using a multitude of sources, I can find most of what I need for free. Askart, google, ebay, and liveauctioneers are your friends. These are just a few of the resources out there but are ones that I use continually.

While I started buying art on ebay, I now buy from quite a few other sources. I do buy quite a bit of art locally as well. I have learned to pass by the amateur works and concentrate on pieces that I believe I can make some money on as well at the paintings I really like. Fortunately, I live in a community with a very large university with an educated and well-traveled population. There have also been many prominent artists pass through the art department over the years. I am sometimes amazed at what I can find here.

While I started looking at works compatible with the arts and crafts movement, my tastes have expanded quite a bit. I think this has come about due to more exposure and learning the history behind the art. I also think that taste just naturally evolves over time. I buy different kinds of things than I would have bought in the beginning. I sometimes wonder how I would display it all if I had to since it all is somewhat disparate. This aspect does not bother me so, for some, concentrating on a certain type of collection may not be necessary.

spirit-of-shiloh and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a briefcase full of British sterling....tableware, cigarette cases, odds and ends, from my silver phase.
    They are not without value.......but even my quality items have not fared well in today's web world.
    I still love my selections , & from time to time go through them all to enjoy the workmanship and metal.......but it's a constant reminder that with no Faberge , Tiffany, or jewel encrusted works from the 1700's......my collection is run of the mill.........at best !

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Here in Boston, there are some concentrated areas of artist studios and one or twice a year, they hold "open studio" weekends. If you have anything like that where you live, it would be very educational for you. You can learn a lot even if you don't buy anything. Although, you would pay less at an open studio than buying from a dealer. Dealers take 50% so the artists are willing to negotiate. Most artists are very happy to talk about their work and answer questions. Signing up with local galleries will also put you on their email list for openings and you can see up and coming artists as well as established artists.

Draft saved Draft deleted