What is this wooden carving

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Since no dimensions have been given, it's hard to say whether it's small or large. ;)

It's still an old, weathered wheel hub, though.

Edit: I stand corrected - that is large.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's twice the size of the wagon hubs I've seen. Maybe more.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I asked a well-known wheelright and cannoneer, ex-museum director Matt Switlik, who sez: "It looks like a unfinished late-pattern Sarven hub turning. These are still used in common Amish buggy wheels. When the cast steel flanged housings are pressed on(after trimming a lot off each end), the flanged ends hold the spokes and are bolted together."

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    spirit-of-shiloh and Bakersgma like this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just ran across this photo with one of these on display. This is in a mansion recently purchased in Chicago by the Bear's running back, Matt Forte. The way both are mounted makes me a bit suspicious. I do think it to be a wheel hub but now wonder about the source. They are way too similar to be coincidental.

[​IMG]

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Re-purposed as ART......sold by designers ....to rich folks who don't know better !

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted