Featured Well it sure isn't new... Very old tooled leather suite case.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kasperscuriosities, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Welcome Rebecca!!! And yes, that's a beautifully tooled case!!!!! What are it's dimensions????:):):)

judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain that is not actually leather work; that is, the suitcase may be hand-made, but the leather (if it is leather) is not. This appears to be machine-stamped rather than hand-stamped, judging by the regularity of the design repetitions. And actual tooled leather would involve cuts made in the leather as a first step, followed by stamped and other types of tooling.
    During the time-period when this was made there were leather-like materials being manufactured with machine-stamped designs, in a pretty good imitation of tooled leather, and that is what I believe this suitcase was made from. Vintage, and interesting, for sure.
    But I'm pretty familiar with stamping and tooling leather, and this isn't either.
    Others may have their own opinions, of course

judy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted