Wax seal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by flintlock, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Again, good work Messi! Nowwwwwww I can see the standing figure on the left is holding an anchor in her left hand!!!! Welllll, so much for my eyes. I went from seeing nothing in that hand, sword and shield, to finally seeing the anchor that others had seen right along. I still think it's a woman on the left because of the swooping neckline of her clothing showing cleavage.

Yourturn..., I also had thoughts keys to kingdom. The Vatican coat of arms, etc... has crossed keys everywhere but doubt there is a buxom woman on the Pope's COA. The top right quarter may?? have 3 letters (RUT, BVT??) over a sheaf of wheat. The bottom left has an animal (lion, dog, sheep?), and still not sure of the bottom right that has a faint resemblance to a bell.

Love to know what others think is up in those sun rays at the top! I don't think it is a head/bust anymore. Could it be an orb topped with a cross with a laurel wreath around it??

--- Susan

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Horribly, as in I've seen it and can't remember where! Arg.

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could it be a swaddled infant?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Revisiting this thread again this morning in hopes of finding a missed clue in solving the mystery. On rereading the replies, discovered I missed Baker's important reply, #12, where she IDed the shield's elements (crossed keys, wheat sheaf, sheep, bell) early on - way before I tried. I thought I had read them all, but truly missed that important one.

I reread the OP's/ Original Poster (Flintlock) reply #11 where he suggested Faith, Hope and Charity. Now that I have finalllllly found the anchor I bet he is right. Kneeling figure holding a processional cross for Faith, woman with anchor for Hope, and Mary holding infant for Charity. The OP also suggested Masonic. The sword type cross dividing the shield also has a Masonic look. The individual elements on the shield may represent a specific Masonic Lodge and location.

The Catholic Church and probably the Episcopal/Anglican Church seals, coat of arms, etc... many times incorporate Faith, Hope and Charity symbols as well as the crossed keys (symbol) for St. Peter. I feel if this was a seal for a bishopric, diocese, it would be topped with a bishop's hat??

The busyness of the seal seems unusual for a fraternal order or religious order seal, coat-of-arms. I give up on solving this mystery.

--- Susan

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Anyone else see a cow's head with a large cowbell strapped on, near the top? Anyone else see, under the large shield, a goose with only left wing showing, and under the wing two goslings she's protecting (or maybe some other kinda bird).

(End of serious comments)

"Love to know what others think is up in those sun rays at the top! I don't think it is a head/bust anymore. "

Nah, is really a ceiling fan to keep all the models cool for all the hours they had to hold that pose for the engraver, who didn't realize he wasn't supposed to include the fan.

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Don't see the cow or the geese, but I do see a 4th person in the line up between the 2 columns - a seated person, just "in front" of the last standing one, who is holding something out in front of him/her.

7. springfld.arsenal

There are 6 people down below. Did u c the one on the far left against the pillar, he's kneeling, facing you, head down, putting something in a jar or cup-like container.

Look again for Mother Goose, neck, head and bill sticking out under left of shield, wing to right under shield. Wing only looks like a wing in Missi 9:40 post of yesterday.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. Bakersgma

Hadn't figured out the "guy" in the left corner until you mentioned it. But sorry, Spring, I still can't see the geese.

9. springfld.arsenal

[​IMG]
    Growing up, I got the monthly "Children's Highlights" magazine some may remember, dunno if still exists or not, but as soon as the postman left it I'd flip to the regular feature called "hidden pictures" and find all the little stuff camouflaged in a larger drawing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  10. Bakersgma

Ah. I get it now. Thanks.

I do believe that Highlights is still being published. My grandson (who is now 12) used to get a subscription as a Christmas present from one of his great grandmothers. Unfortunately she is no longer with us. :(

11. springfld.arsenal

Sorry about GGM.

OK here's a forensically-enhanced cropping of the wax seal. It should be immediately clear as to what this all symbolizes. but I don't want to make it too easy, so I will refrain from posting any conclusions until others have expressed opinions.

[​IMG]

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh, I get it....it's the SPCA or ASPCA seal !!
    Thanks for clearing that up Spring !!! ..............................:joyful:...................

13. springfld.arsenal

This may explain the cow or calf face near the top of the seal image. Looks like the calf is to RSPCA as Smokey the Bear is to the US Forest Service (or NPS or whomever.)
    [​IMG]

14. Bakersgma

The "cat carrier" has a letter T on it?

15. springfld.arsenal

Explanation 1: Looks like a T until I zoom in on it, then the horizontal stroke is very prominent but the vertical stroke nearly disappears, so I think the perception of a T does occur but only at a certain magnification.

Explanation 2: yes it is a T. Cat's name is Tuffy and owner has marked each of his cat's carriers with the cat's initial.

16. Bakersgma

:hilarious:

So what do you make of the roundish thing sitting on the ground in front of the lefthand column. Blown up now it looks like a head with a long nose. Almost mask-ish.

17. springfld.arsenal

I thought it was a tiny round-head screw, possibly a Phillips head. But not sure.

18. Bakersgma

I had thought the same before your extreme closeup, but wondered why there aren't more. But there is a divit (hole?) in about the same position relative to the column on the right side.

19. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If it makes any odds, the form is that of a typical early to mid 19th C watch chain fob seal. The stone is usually cairngorm.

20. Ladybranch

I hadn't paid much attention to the figures at the bottom other then to be felicitous by calling it a bucket brigade. On taking notice now after Spring's ideas, I'll take a stab. St. Francis blessing the animals on feast day if one will accept that cat carriers were first invented and used c1200 for the sole purpose of transporting the little felines to St. Francis for its blessing. ;)
    Behind him probably lying down is a head of a lion with mane that Spring label.

Above him just below the shield like Spring I thought bird(s) also, but more like dove(s). The bird on the left is more distinguishable to me as a feeding dove. He appears nearly straight on to us feeding on the ground with its tail pointed up. Above him the wing shape may be a bird in flight. The things to our right of the feeding bird, I don't know - other feeding birds???

--- Susan

Seal-bird-comboz2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted