Featured Vintage skateboards.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tiquer, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

My daughter went through a "skater" phase when she was about 13/14. Wore black, had a silver chain linked to the belt loops. She eschewed a helmet until she fell and had a huge goose egg lump on her forehead. Black helmet with appropriate stickers after that! :D

Any Jewelry, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

When skateboards first came in, the kids all made their own here in the Midwest. My brother made one with metal roller skate wheels. He made it in shop class out of wood with 2 diagonal inlaid contrasting wood stripes. Pretty cool looking. I could never get the hang of it and he also tired of it after awhile. I think it may have ended up getting broken by one of the younger siblings later.

The real craze with store-bought boards came later and I was a little too old to get involved by then, nor had the inclination. I occasionally see old boards out in the marketplace and wonder if they might have some value. They are always beat up and I don't know how much condition can be overlooked on them. Maybe will take a second look next time I see one.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’d start taking a second look! It’s a hot area. Much hotter than many proper antiques. Vintage is where a lot of good money is today. There’s armies of young resellers out there hunting the stuff though and the sale runners here aren’t oblivious to it. 0F779ADB-69A1-411A-A8A3-501265758A14.jpeg DE3C2F47-76E1-47F1-A076-79367F157624.jpeg E3F376C0-862F-4A07-B203-29356A33B6CD.jpeg 4ABE8176-6F4D-4206-AF76-31D6FE29A11E.jpeg

kentworld likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Holey Moley.

J Dagger likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Millenials and later GenX are buying the stuff they wanted as kids but couldn't afford, and the things they wish they'd known about as kids.

mirana, J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto Dagg-I was raised to love proper 100 old plus antiques,but our new crop of collectors seem to have different tastes.
    PS-If they wanted to give me 5 or 10K for a $20 skateboard purchase,I suppose I could learn to live with it.

J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Yep, I was skating as a teenager in the 80s when things really took off nationally. I always watch for old boards at yard and estate sales, buy think many in my area just went into the trash. :O

If you are interested in seeing, I found a site called artofskateboarding.com where they show people restoring them now.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

This is my Ripper board that should be here tomorrow. I think this one is a reissue but the pattern is the same as mine was. Screenshot_20240613_202233_Chrome.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. J Dagger

As with older generations our parents threw our stuff away too. If I woke up early enough on Saturdays in HS or later in college when at my parents house I’d sometimes catch my dad grabbing a box or two of our stuff from the basement to bring it to the dump. Just recently my dipstick brother cleaned their garage a bit and threw away my baseball and basketball equipment I hoped to pass down to my kids should I have any. I haven’t had the heart to look yet but I’m afraid he threw away all of my grandfathers home movies from the early 90s/late 80s. If so that was literally the only video footage of our family. I bought a machine to convert them to digital but never got around to it. I sure hope when I get the nerve to look that I’m wrong. Same story my father told me about his mother throwing away his stuff when he got older. Happens to every generation! Nostalgia is a strong emotion.

pearlsnblume, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bin there....... had that done to me too.... In spades...

J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. komokwa

funny...not having my daughter growup with me....I kept any and everything she left at my home..........

all_fakes, J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. J Dagger

If you wanted to pick the thing that would tick me off more than anything else in the world it would be throwing away something the belonged to me without asking. If they weren’t the only family I’ve got I’d disown them for it, that’s how bad it annoys me. I guess that’s what I get for keeping important sentimental things there. Not that I had a choice as a kid. Now all that 80’s stuff is worth real $, on top of the sentimental value. I suppose I should round up the best of what’s left and put it in a tote labeled “death to any would be tosser”. All my 90’s and early 2000 band/concert shirts should still be there. Those have become shockingly valuable. Hundreds of dollars each on some of them. I was a huge nirvana guy and had at least half a dozen mid 90’s Nirvana shirts. Those are some of the best to have it seems. I feel your pain! Glad you held onto your daughters stuff.

When I was young I thought it was insanely cool to have anything that belonged to my father when he was a boy. Nothing excited me more than getting one of his old matchbox cars or his cheap guitar.

14. komokwa

I feel you bro !!!
    When Mom gave away mine & Dads mint matching cowichan sweaters..... for no other reason than the were taking up room in her cedar closet.....and I found out about it............ I lost my cool !!!

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

My brother and father cut up my mother's wedding dress for my brother's wedding. They added a piece to his wife )now ex wife, bouquet. No one asked me at all, they just did it.
    Infuriating for sure.

J Dagger, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Skated my board last night! Got a little winded but great to be back in the game. I'm sure it's a sight seeing a guy over 50 skating, but if Tony Hawk can do it, so can I!

J Dagger, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Here's some vintage skate/surf/snowboard stickers I have to go with the vintage skateboards.
    stickers-s.jpg

18. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I was picking up my granddaughters from school this week and had a radio station on that I listen to. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" came on and my 11 year old granddaughter goes, "Nirvana." Kinda blew me away, but then she's into "cool" whatever it is.

OTOH, my parents had to schlepp a lot of my brother's stuff from move to move as he lived overseas and made them "guardians" without asking, LOL. The move to assisted living necessitated him to fly out and finally deal with his sh*t, er, stuff. So, there are 2 sides to every story. But yeah, if someone chucked my stuff, I would want warning.

19. komokwa

As Mom, in her infinite wisdom used to say to me........
    It's your room....... but it's my house !!!

20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It seems an old tradition that parents toss out,or (best case) donate their child's items,no permission necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted