Featured Victorian-era Brass Counter Bell :)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I'm wondering if this is a computer-help thread or an antiques thread. Perhaps I should start a new one??

KingofThings likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Order Order,:D

scoutshouse and KingofThings like this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

yeah that's the problem for me these days - too many "volunteers,"as my dad "Square Root " used to say. Right now (on my phone) I have 2 versions of Gmail
    And 3 or 4 different galleries I need to choose from.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Shangas

I wish there was! I'm getting so confused now!

Aaaanyway. To get this thing back on the rails in the second page, at least, I'm starting all over again.

I picked up a new brass desktop/counter bell at a country antiques fair over the weekend. It's the one in the middle. Dates to probably the 1870s-1890s. Solid brass. I think originally silver-plated.

It's got a spring-tensioned arm, and a hinged toggle-clapper on the end. Press on the toggle and release. It swings up and the clapper flips up and strikes the bell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    yourturntoloveit and scoutshouse like this.
  5. scoutshouse

Sorry, Patrick - we went round the bend on that! :L

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Another reason to hold off getting windows 10.
    greg

7. Shangas

This post is specifically for Scoutshouse, who was talking about them...

My Victorian-era bill-spikes:

[​IMG]

I actually have THREE billspikes, but one of them is being used, and I wasn't about to pull everything off it for just one photograph and put all the stuff back on again.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Shangas, I love your "counter bells."

I'm just curious . . . do all three have the same general tone/ring and degree of "loudness" when the bell is struck?

Shangas likes this.
  9. Shangas

The one on the right (largest one made of brass) is from about 1900. That's got the highest pitch/tone. When you hit the button on the top is just goes 'Ding!'

The middle one is probably from the 1870s/1880s has a deeper, more mellow sound. You press the toggle on the side and push it down. You release, and the spring inside the bell flicks the arm up. The end of the toggle is also the hammer that swings up and strikes the edge of the bell. I think that's the sweetest-sounding one. It's also the one with the lowest tone.

The one on the left is from the same era (possibly a bit later), and has the middle of the three tones.

Based on sound alone, I like the middle one the most. I'm not sure which one is loudest, I've never tried!

10. scoutshouse

Very nice!

What about that "high class hand safe" (!!!) sweet!

11. Shangas

LOL. Yes that's Japanese, from the 1920s or 30s (I think mine is from the 30s). It weighs a ton! And it works, too! I've got the key to wind up the alarm, and to lock it and unlock it, and I've got the combination to open it and everything.

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Shangas, thank you. You gave a wonderful description of the different sounds elicited by the "striking" of the three different bells. Based on your description, I believe I also would like the middle bell best of all. ;)

13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

The one on the right has the identical same base as pictured in the 1883-4 Bradley and Hubbard catalog on the page I posted. I thought you might possibly be interested in seeing it. The bell could easily be earlier than 1900. According to some sources B & H were the most prolific call bell maker and at one time was the only call bell maker in the states. Their products were shipped around the world.

My sincere apologies for relating my problems in trying to get that catalog page pic for you. It was my problem that ran this thread off track.

--- Susan

14. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

On the subject of bells here is an unusual figural table bell, spelter though.
    [​IMG]

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Susan, any reasonable person would understand that your posting of the problem in trying to provide information was just your frustration - you always take considerable time and trouble to help folks out. To my mind, this is a friendly discussion group, and any good discussion will meander off in different directions, always a simple matter to just bring it back to topic if necessary...

~Cheryl

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

King, MY computer "gurus", whom I TRUST implicitly, said to WAIT until MS has the kinks worked out......besides, they will install it for me NC when ready!!!!! Can't beat that!!!!:smug::smug::smug::smuggrin::rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Thank you! :)

18. Aquitaine

Susan! Not Dumb!!! Computers have VERY tiny little minions in them snatching and hiding our stuff just for fun to see how we handle it! :banghead::borg::hungry::hilarious::greyalien::snaphappy::vamp::cool::vulcan: They used to be mice....but they've morphed!

19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

MOUSE IS JAMMED>>>
    ~
    MOUSE IS JAMMED.png

20. Aquitaine

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted