Featured VIctorian die cut embossed cardboard letter holder? bill holder? what is it called?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 7, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It looks in amazing condition!

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

James - I had never heard of a Dummy Board - how interesting.

KSW - it is in amazing condition - everything I got from Bronwen was. There's just a teeny bit of paper loss on some edges.

bercrystal, James Conrad and KSW like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yes, I hear you! Dummy Boards have largely been lost in the mists of time. I see them from time to time in very old furniture auctions but, it's kinda like RIVEN! CRICKET TABLE! bla bla bla.
    I don't think anyone really knows their original purpose, many theories around.

"If you enjoy visiting country houses, now and again you’ll have probably come across the odd dummy board. ‘Dummy boards’ are flat, oil-painted trompe l’oeil figures. They are often life-sized (though sometimes smaller) and were placed around the house in halls, corridors, by fireplaces and on staircases. According to the Victoria and Albert Museum, they originated in the early 17th century and were popular until the 19th century when they fell out of fashion. The figures usually resemble servants, soldiers, children and animals"
    https://www.homesandantiques.com/antiques/collecting-guides-antiques/experts/what-is-a-dummy-board/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

5. James Conrad

LOL, probably not, although similar to a dummy board they are designed to sell something, movie, car, yada yada yada.
    Don't thing dummy boards were commercial in the sense of trying to sell you something.

6. James Conrad

Agrees dummy boards are a bit creepy. I walked into a client house a few years back that had life-size puppets sitting at the dining room table, my first thought? do I really want to be here!!!??? Client explained he had them out because grandkids were visiting and were for them.........

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a few dummy boards to cover the fireplace openings when they were not being used. I think the tallest was only 2 ft high. Anything bigger was just being creepy.
    greg

bercrystal and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

One theory is, an 18th-century burglar alarm, life-size dummy board created at least the appearance of someone home when in fact, everyone was gone.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  9. James Conrad

If you are selling it and it's a 19th-century piece, I would call it a dummy board, purpose unknown. And watch it FLY OFF THE sale shelf. :singing::cigar:

bercrystal likes this.
  10. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

maybe Advertising for kite making company

Draft saved Draft deleted