Featured Very Excited, Not Sure Where to Put this...18thC Mystery boxes?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Jun 23, 2024.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's not glass; it's rock crystal, aka quartz. Glass might not register at all, or might just go up one bar if it's the good stuff.

kyratango, RachelW and mirana like this.
  2. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Awesome! So rubies, diamonds, and rock crystal/quartz? And a tiny green paste/glass (only went up one)

kyratango likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The greenies might be diopside; it's pretty but awfully fragile. I don't know how it rings up. Fluorite comes in green and might ring in that low too. If they only pushed the meter up one bar, they're not emeralds. In those days they probably mixed real with faux with abandon, so it's hard to be sure.

RachelW likes this.
  4. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Update: Never got a response from that last museum I was recommended to contact. I just re-emailed the man again today and got a message saying they don't offer assessments at the museum. A little bit stumped as I was clear in my email I hadn't come to him randomly lol. So I seem to have hit a bit of a wall with these.

kyratango, komokwa, mirana and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sometimes you own something for years before you find something similar with a correct ID. You can enjoy them just as much without the ID though.:happy:

kyratango, mirana, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto-For me,sometimes decades.There are things still waiting to be named.

Draft saved Draft deleted