Featured Very Excited, Not Sure Where to Put this...18thC Mystery boxes?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Jun 23, 2024 at 2:19 PM.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that, while they look like they might have originally contained religious relics, all the imagery on both pieces is secular. Hard to imagine what they're original purpose was (and who could have afforded to commission them.)

Debora

johnnycb09, kyratango and RachelW like this.
  2. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

True! Also interesting to note that they're both brass/base metal. The square looks like it could be gold, but it has the brass smell and the inside has a grey metal look. If those are truly diamonds on the obelisk than it's an interesting combo.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They were gilded. Not unusual brass underneath. Have you had the gems tested?

Debora

johnnycb09, kyratango and RachelW like this.
  4. RachelW

What a sight they must have been! No, I dont have a gem tester, but I'm taking them to town on wednesday to get them tested. There is also a certified antiques expert who specializes in items this age 4 minutes from where I'm going, I may try to get an appointment with them as well.

5. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

These are fascinating! I've never seen anything quite like them. Love these threads were we all get to learn something new together. Great eye for the good stuff, Rachel. :)

6. RachelW

Hang on, could the obelisk be a pomander?Apparently there were different shapes, hung from the neck, or made small enough to fit into one's hand. Some are gilt, some are filigree, etc.

Screenshot_2024-06-25-01-05-48-658_com.android.chrome.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  7. RachelW

Thank you! I can't quite believe I spotted them haha! I'm blessed to be their new keeper.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Glad you saved them from the cast off pile. I don’t think you’ve got to worry about having passes by loads of these, or even one of these probably. They seem to be pretty special little things that can’t be at all common.

If they are indeed what has been claimed the story behind them is pretty hard to beat!

9. RachelW

Indeed! I've messaged a certified expert who specializes in 16/17/18th century objects, he's a 4 minute walk from where I'm going to get the gems tested tomorrow so hopefully they can fit me in on short notice.

This link: https://peaceofwestphalia.org/everything-peace-of-westphalia/multimedia/paintings-and-sculpture/ is quite interesting, showing Justice and Peace together (harvest + sword), and also interesting that the obelisk represents the sun here, which perhaps ties in to the 4 seasons theme of the box?

J Dagger, johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot:Incredible!!! As J Dagger said, how can someone discard these and sell for 1€:banghead:
    As AJ said it is a LIFETIME find, wow!
    I think they are indeed end of 17th century:cyclops:
    The threaded initials crowned are made as are the Stuart crystals from that period.
    You may test some pointy areas on a touch stone with acids on the trace. Maybe the ornamental parts are Vermeil rather than brass:)
    Anyway, waiting for the result of your antiques expert (don't sell to him if he asks!).
    I feel it could be a Christie's or Sotheby's worth asking for a valuation;)

trip98, Houseful, J Dagger and 4 others like this.
  11. RachelW

oh my goodness me. I thought these might be 1750-1780 perhaps, I had no idea they could be this important. I will go about testing where I can today, see what comes up!
    This expert offers authentification services, so I will see if I can get that and then go to one of the auction houses you mention. Definitely not selling to the first person who offers, no way!
    On a side note, I took a damp Qtip and cleaned the dust off the crown on the obelisk, now it sparkes beautifully! Real pearls and maybe diamonds...

I've been unable to stop thinking about these for 2 days, distracting myself from things I should be doing by going down rabbit holes trying to figure these out. I wake up and instantly check this thread whilst half asleep still to see if there's any more replies! :hilarious: I appreciate all of your insights on these treasures.

Houseful, komokwa, J Dagger and 4 others like this.
  12. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

@RachelW Can you post the sizes, please?

johnnycb09, RachelW and kyratango like this.
  13. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

RachelW, I can now clearly see these boxes are giving you a hard time.
    I think it would be more healthy for you if you just handed them to me, pretty please! :cat:
    No, really, fun set aside, they are amazing! An incredible find.

mirana, kyratango, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  14. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

60. View 1 (1).jpg
    What a fabulous find - no wonder you're excited about them!
    I wonder if they could be clock casings - something like this possibly?

15. RachelW

They are, but I'm letting em! :hilarious:

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. RachelW

I've been looking for ages at clocks, but I can't figure out why it would open from the bottom like that. There's no hole for a clock mechanism so its not a stand alone casing....and I can't find ornate ones that this could have broken off of.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. RachelW

They're upstairs atm, but roughly:
    Pyramid: 4 inches tall, 1.5/2 inches wide
    Square: 2 inches tall, 2 inches wide

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Dessert58 like this.
  18. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

Again, no idea, but the clock idea made me think about another measuring instrument.
    Could the pyramid one maybe have something to do with a metronome?
    Its form reminded me of one
    IMG_9087.jpeg

Any Jewelry, RachelW and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm eagerly awaiting what the antiquarian says about them. Once he's finished drooling, anyway. Holy moly... for a whole flipping POUND.

kyratango, RachelW and johnnycb09 like this.
  20. RachelW

Oh thats a good train of thought! I'll have to look at some of these and see..

INSANE :woot::woot: The antiquarian is out of town, but his equally experienced father will be in the office tomorrow. Looking forward to what he says! Although I've stated twice that I need to communicate via text or email to arrange an appointment as my historical french is next to nothing, and he responds with 'I'll call you in the morning' :hungover:

Any Jewelry, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted