Useless Gadgets go right........here.

Discussion in 'Tools' started by 707susang, Oct 13, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, I had the in-egg scrambler. You poked this needle thing through one end of the egg, and the battery made it wiggle around and sort of scrambled the egg in the shell. It actually worked fairly well for a gadget I paid a dime for at some rummage sale or other.

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have one of those Hankscraft cookers and two baby bottle warmers. The bases were made by Homer Laughlin and match my Fiesta pieces.

Those butter things are useless to me. I do not like butter on corn on a cob only salt and black pepper.
    greg

4. silverthwait

No butter on your corn???!!!

Are you one of those people who puts salt on cantaloupe?

gregsglass likes this.
  5. silverthwait

Which reminds me of my grandfather who put vinegar on anything green. My grandmother kept a lovely little cut crystal bottle just for him.

6. evelyb30

I've been known to salt underripe canteloupe.(LOL) Ripe doesn't need it. Vinegar on greens is a natural. Pepper vinegar is even better.

7. gregsglass

Hi,
    Yeppers on putting salt on unripe cantaloupe, just a dash not enough to see but enough to bring out the taste. fresh CoC does not need butter it is sweet already. I have never eaten frozen CoC or already prepped. I see it shucked and in a package no way.
    I had to laugh, when my son was 3 years old we went to the farm and had corn on the cob, his first time. He said "This is neat, they take the corn out of the bag and glue it to this thing so you don't need a spoon."
    greg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe someone should start a food thread.

9. evelyb30

(LOL) He'd never had the real stuff before? My mom says the right way to eat corn on the cob is to: 1. start at the top of a hill. 2. pick corn as you run down 3. shuck as you go 4. throw it in the pot at the bottom of the hill. Preshucked in a supermarket....yuck.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Lots o' corn growing north of here....& as a kid the cobs were a foot long , & thick with big dark yellow kernels ....and it tasted like corn !

Now all I see are are pale yellow and white sweet corn....which...while OK , is not what I ate in my youth !

11. komokwa

The PT Sellers board had a couple of fine food threads....recipes & all......
    Not a bad idea !

12. gregsglass

Hi,
    Living in the city in a conclave of Italians, being the first male grandchild,
    his feet never touched the floor until he was two. Six granddaughters and nieces before him. I was lucky to hold him when I could find him. Not saying he was spoiled but...........:D:D:D:D:D corn on the cob was pretty
    unheard of there. Not saying anything against the Italians but me being the worlds biggest Italian wanttobe.
    greg

13. evelyb30

Around here the Italians, and we've got scads, eat corn on the cob too.

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Did anybody mention scissors on a pocketknife or is this the recipe thread?

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have a Swiss Army pocketknife with scissors. I find them convenient when reading a newspaper at a coffee shop and want to clip an article.

16. silverthwait

On this thread...or another...I made a reference to the Kutztown Country Fair. One of the perks there was that one could eat at big tables in the tents, and the Amish ladies would bring out the food -- no choosing, you got what you got, but there was enough variety to please everyone. What pleased me was the shucked corn served in butter and CREAM.

It wasn't until years later that I realized that the corn had been picked that morning, and the butter and cream were from Amish cows.

17. komokwa

I've carried one for 35 years ever since my late aunt brought me one from Switzerland. I use the scissors more than any other blade. It's in my left pocket with my house keys so I'm never without it.
    I have 6 others & i bought my wife a Wenger, for her purse.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Lost the toothpick, though. Seems everyone loses the toothpick.

19. komokwa

that's because it's plastic and with use over time it's catch wears out.
    I retired 2 of my older ones before the toothpick fell out and the one in my pocket still has it's pick !
    So.......not everyone!

20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I used to retail Victorinox knives, we always kept spare toothpicks, tweezers and pens in stock, they're inexpensive, can also be ordered from the manufacturers or even on eBay. We had one of the giant knives in our display window, it was sort of mesmerizing:

~Cheryl

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted