Unknown antique oil painting Jesus, Mary & Joseph by 'Shaw'

Discussion in 'Art' started by Desireefhmt, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

20230404_150541.jpg

"Top" of picture

2. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

It is VERY large, I was thinking that it looked like a painting that would go behind the preacher? Someone said the crown on (I'm assuming) Jesus looks Catholic. I think it might be Jesus, Mary and Joseph. There are some runes on the bottom of their gowns, above their feet.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

Thank you!

4. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the entire front? Rear? Your pictures help a ton, however it would be fantastic to see the entire painting in one shot!

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And they seem to be posting side ways......am going to re-post in correct orientation....also looks like it's your avatar?? Also, is there anything written on the back of the canvas???

20230404_150155.jpg

20230404_150217.jpg

20230404_150402.jpg

20230404_150428.jpg

20230404_150440.jpg

20230402_123920.jpg

20230404_150541.jpg

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could "Shaw" be "Shand" instead?

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

Yes it could!

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting! Found in 1957 on a beach... is it in a storage locker now? (Looks like it from one of your photos.) What an unusual thing to find on a beach. Do you know any more about the story of finding it? Was there any church or chapel nearby? It looks like it was made to be installed in a specific location.

Boland likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a movie prop, something theatrical?

Boland and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I was also thinking: decor for a elaborate church play or something. Certainly is interesting . It looks like it was done by perhaps a talented church member or a local artist from some community.

The shape of the canvas itself is also interesting. Maybe used to cover a large arch window in a church? Or an arch itself inside a church building? (I don’t know)

But found on beach in the 1950’s that just makes is very intriguing and cool!

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

Thank you so much for doing that. My apologies. It was hard enough for me to figure out how to post the pictures! I had to use a website that shrunk them and did them each individually. Thank u for your help! U guys are the best!

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

Is anyone familiar with the signature?? It looks to be pretty original...Shaw, Shant, Shand, Shaul...ect...

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Most welcome @Desireefhmt .....for future reference, one quick way to make images smaller is to email them to yourself or your computer (if using a cell phone) is to set the size as medium.....doing that SHOULD make them UNDER the 1 MB limit each!! When you need help, don't hesitate to ask....plenty of members willing to try to help!!!

14. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

It looks to be a little too elaborate for a church prop and if it was just a prop, I wouldn't think that it would be signed. I'm not sure though...

15. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

INFO ABOUT PICTURE
    WHEN/WHERE FOUND

What i thought would be a great identification factor is the signature- which i believe to be Shaw/Shaul/Shand/Shant ect.... It is very unique. The painting was found on/around 1957 by my father's Grandmother who lived on Friday Harbor, San Juan Island in Washington State- in the Pacific Northwest. it was found floating in the bay where she lived. It had apparently fallen off of a barge in the Straight of Juan DeFuca which is in-between Canada and the USA. (Far Northwestern corner of the USA-by Victoria B.C.).

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Boland like this.
  16. Desireefhmt

Desireefhmt New Member

Hi there that was the first thing that I tried, was to email them to myself but I looked everywhere and could not find the option anywhere to resize them/make them smaller.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it was found floating in the bay where she lived.

that's one heck of a tale...........:wacky::wacky:

18. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Found on the beach is one thing. But floating in the bay is quite another. Won’t there have been extensive water damage? (to state the obvious )To the point that the the painting/image was almost destroyed? Was the background story verified as factually correct? (Sorry,I don’t want to be rude,just wondering)

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

If I recall, the option to pick a photo size doesn't work with all email apps. Also might partially depend on whether you are doing it with a phone or a computer. If with a phone, it might depend on the operating system and type of phone. From what I can tell, it should work with iPhones. I have always had an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy model) and it doesn't work for me. I use the Gmail app.

Instead, I've learned that if I open the Gallery app on my phone and crop the edges of the photo, that will make it smaller. There is also a Resize option in the Gallery's editing tools that should work.

Just some ideas!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted