Featured Unique this vintage india carved knife and fork set?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris75, May 27, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it only re-enforces what's been said here.....but nice to see a new photo.

These are not , rare, nor valuable, nor even collectable by blade collectors.
    Just something you pick up on your vacation....hang on the wall...put on your desk....and the years later, Davey finds it in a house clearance....and tosses it in the tip !;):inpain:

i need help likes this.
  2. komokwa

Poor Chris75....him & his wife have no idea how the internet works.....
    I wonder if he ever got a bid on his $499 priced set .....:vomit::rolleyes::rolleyes:

all_fakes likes this.
  3. caroln

caroln Active Member

I have a Indian carving set too, and was looking around on the web to see what it was worth. (That's how I came across Chris75's carving set.) Mine is the kind with knife and fork on each end which I've seen priced from $9.00 all the way up to $495! I took a snippet from an on-line antique expert and here's what she had to say: The Serving Fork and Carving Knife in a Carved Wooden Holder circa: early 20thC has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $55.00-70.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction.

I think that's a bit high, and I, myself, think it's probably worth more in the $20-25 range. Anyway, it's kind of a neat thing to look at! Oh, yeah, and one more thing. Mine has the stamp India with the N and the D backwards. Weird.
    india stamp.jpg

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

$20 - $25 sounds like a reasonable estimate in an antique shop. I've often reflected that when it comes to items made for sale as souvenirs, or for the import/export market, it doesn't really matter whether a particular design was sold in hundreds of thousands of copies or only thousands of copies. The value is minimal.
    And not surprisingly, there is so little collector interest that one doesn't find a lot of examples in an internet search, and the ones that will be found are often mistakenly identified.
    There are no collector guides for such things, in general. And sometimes, a preconception can prevent search results, as when one searches for a particular basket among Native listings, with no results....because it is Chinese.
    One often hears "I couldn't find anything like it on the internet so it must be rare and valuable." But that is often untrue.

Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

Untrue...& shows a lack of understanding......;):(:(
    for the untold millions of items pictured on the web....there are untold Billions of others that never got photographed and uploaded .............

Draft saved Draft deleted