Featured Typewriter desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Maggiedaily, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Maggiedaily

Maggiedaily New Member

IMG_20170115_125841433.jpg
    I was given this typewriter desk, it's extremely heavy and well built, I'm hoping someone on this forum could help me identify it.

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It's an oak typewriter desk :meh:

Kidding aside, these were made by a lot of companies and you probably won't be able to identify the maker without a label. It really doesn't matter who made them any way. They are not that sought after and there are no makers that bring any better money than any other to my knowledge.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sidebar....any markings on that metal corner carry case..?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I have had a number of these. Literally no one wants them. I took them to strip for possible use of the metal rack parts and whatever/however I could use the drawers and other wood.

5. Maggiedaily

Maggiedaily New Member

Unfortunately the carrier case isn't mine

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Maggiedaily

Maggiedaily New Member

Well I guess that's good news, I kind of would have been sad to sell it considering it was a gift and I've already hauled it several places. Any advice on restoring the finish?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A few coats of tung oil varnish or similar product would do wonders for this. Any stains probably need to be sanded out or lived with. Be aware that if this is a veneer top, you could sand through the veneer and have a bigger problem (Can't tell if a veneer or solid top from this pic). Also any sanded areas will be lighter than the rest and may need to be evened out color-wise with some stain.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted