Featured Trying to find info on an old wood panel painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jeanette Torello, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

She couldn't possibly dance in a graceful fashion in that position.

2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@Jeanette Torello Is there any chance you could upload higher resolution versions? Cut the image into sections, maybe?

Not thinking it will really add any new info, but there are details getting lost in the jpg artifacts.

3. Jeanette Torello

Jeanette Torello Active Member

;)

Bronwen likes this.
  4. Jeanette Torello

Idk if they’re going to be much better, but I’ll upload them.

Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  5. Jeanette Torello

6. Jivvy

ooh, very satisfying, thank you. Not sure it will make a difference, but I like seeing some of the details -- for example, how the women's hair is done.

I don't know enough about hairstyles to make anything of it, but I was deadly curious. :joyful:

Back to it.

7. Jeanette Torello

If you notice the woman facing us looks to maybe have had a halo that was covered or something.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That's why I wondered if it was sort of a crack-the-whip activity, as she risks getting whirled off her feet. Only the woman holding her right hand appears to be paying any attention to her; the other two are off in their own worlds. Could be a dance where someone ducks under, starting a twist in the chain that ends with all of them facing outward, then goes back again.

2DancersCleaner (1).PNG 2HerculaneumDancersFresco.png

Jeanette Torello and Jivvy like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jeanette Torello and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

Jeanette Torello likes this.
  11. Jivvy

Well, I had to google that. *wah wah wah* :p

In the meantime, I am absolutely mad trying to find the name of the "crook" (that's not it) in this tapestry (and numerous paintings). It seems to be more likely to show up with goat herders than shepherds.

And I know it MUST have a name because it is a specific thing that way too many people include for it not to have a name.

And I doubt it will make one bit of difference, but I want to know.

temp02.jpg

12. Bronwen

Only fancy word I know is 'pedum'.

13. Jivvy

That may be something. Not immediately seeing origin, but it's better at calling up the right pictures... However, it's that time of night I'm on my phone and I cannot do proper research on such a wee screen. :bag::p

14. Jivvy

15. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Jeanette Torello like this.
  16. Jivvy

As has been discussed, certainly a possibility!

We're all waiting on @Phaik Hooi to come back with the specific owner of the mark, though. :p

17. Jivvy

Dear heavens, the "pedum" rabbit hole is shallow, but wide.

The religious folk are mucking up everything. As they do. :joyful: "The pastoral staff is variously designated, by ecclesiastical writers, as virga, ferulu, cambutta, crotia, and pedum." https://books.google.com/books?id=xbMMAQAAIAAJ

Bronwen and Jeanette Torello like this.
  18. Jivvy

Closing down the 47 open tabs on my browser, I find I must share this small painting attributed to Ferdinand van Kessel.

The "round dance" being another hole, but of a Different Rodent.

temp01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread is exhausting.:facepalm:
    First of all, welcome Jeanette, I love your panel.
    Does anyone think the scene could be biblical, Sodom and Gomorrah?

Painted panels in cabinets or wall panelling were not unusual in the Low Countries. The scenes were often biblical or allegorical. Panel shapes could vary, and I am sure they could be found in other European countries as well.
    I have a ca 1500 Antwerp painting on wood which has a dark stained back as well.
    Going on to thereabouts, still the Low Countries but further north, Friesland/Frisia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is not his quality, but it could be after Pieter van Avont. Even during that period prints were made of popular paintings and copied by others.
    Bagpipes should be played, diving into them is not appreciated by The Bagpipe Society.:pompous::hilarious:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cute! (creepy, but cute)

Draft saved Draft deleted