Torsion balance style 254

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Mattrhollen, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Mattrhollen

Mattrhollen New Member

Theres no empty holes or any evidence like tarnish marks that something was attached to the center piece. Ive also found a picture of a 354 thats the same, no needle. The company is still in business, so ive got an email out to them, hopefully they can help. I just find it hard to accept that of all the examples with the gauge in the center ive found i cant find one showing a needle. All of them that have a needle show the gauge off-center. Ill keep searching, perhaps one day ill get the answer lol.

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

If they’re willing to take the time to reply to you, they may have something in their archives.

3. Mattrhollen

Mattrhollen New Member

Thats what im hoping. Seems like there should be old manuals for the different styles. If something is missing id at least like to know what it is. But thanks for taking an interest. If i do find out, ill post it here

4. sabre123

Please do. Thanks and good luck

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3 and sabre123 like this.
  6. Mattrhollen

Mattrhollen New Member

The picture isnt detailed enough to help, but it is interesting all the same. I do appreciate the help though, ive had a hard time finding any kind of information about this particular scale, and i always like to learn more about my antiques. Thank you!

i need help likes this.
  7. i need help

8. Mattrhollen

Mattrhollen New Member

That led me down a little patent rabbit hole, and i even found the patents that are labelled on my scale, but still no luck lol.

i need help likes this.
  9. sabre123

Noteworthy in the google patent doc:

"It is conventional to mount a pointer on the movable skeleton, usually on the lower beam opposite its fulcrum point and a fixed graduated index scale having a zero mark in the center is mounted on the base or on the housing of the balance. The skeleton is balanced when the pointer registers with the zero mark on the scale."

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

I’m glad you found something useful in there! :hilarious:

sabre123 likes this.
  11. sabre123

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted