To polish or not to polish Deco Cartier Sterling picture frame

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by scoutshouse, Oct 18, 2015.

1. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

My idea of a lovely landscape. Trees and hills just happen, this stuff needed inventing and building.

[​IMG]

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I agree -- although, if I had to choose, I'll take trees, thank you. But my father used to build that sort of thing, so I can actually appreciate it.

Incidentally, do you remember "Breaking the Sound Barrier?"

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a big thing when I was a kid.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Airplanes? Sound barrier?

A musical aside.

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Yo! Cracking towers!!! (I ran a graphics department in the middle of a Chevron refinery for 5 years...)

On the other end of the sound spectrum, when my older brother visited our hometown of LA a few years ago, he didn't believe the Firestone Blimp anchored next the the freeway wasn't a pigmy version of what he remembered as a kid - We went in (to ask for a ride - not!) and the guy behind the counter confirmed: Same size. It puttered right over my home in Redondo as it headed out to the beach to fly banners. (You started it!)

Ok - too late on the Cartier polishing! and it was looking great... until I dropped it on its corner yesterday. Now must take it to a silversmith to straighten out the corner((S!) since the glass (cracked) and wood plaque was inside, it tweaked more than one) :( don't have the heart to take a picture to illustrate.

But here's what it looked like before:

CartierClean.jpg

More to come: I'll keep you-all posted.

komokwa likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sorry to hear that. I know the feeling though. I had a Dag that went through a fire. The case and the velvet were a mess. Managed to find a new case and was putting the Dag into it and dropped it. The glass shattered.:oops:.
    greg

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. silverthwait

Dag-gone it!

Messilane, scoutshouse and gregsglass like this.
  8. scoutshouse

OOOOuuuuuch!

9. scoutshouse

Dag-nab it! wish I knew what a Dag was! :)

10. scoutshouse

Dagnab it! wish I knew what a Dag was! :)

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A "dag" is short for daguerreotype = an early form of photograph, done on glass and usually encased for its protection.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  12. scoutshouse

Thanks Bakersgma - I know what a daguerreotype is, but not on nickname basis! :)

Sorry 'bout your photo gregsglass :(

Bakersgma and gregsglass like this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ouch for the frame and for the dag. :(

I've done my share of oopsies and always feel really, really dumb when it happens.

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. silverthwait

Sometimes one just can't win for losing! I have a lovely old print by Charles Twelvetrees. I had it framed and matted, and it lived in the hallway of my bathroom for years. Moved here, hung it in more or less the same place -- and the winds of a BIG storm knocked it off the wall. It shattered, of course, and I managed to bleed all over the mat. (My framer was very casual about that. "At least," she said, "You managed not to get any blood on the art."

OK. So I delayed taking it to the framer, but eventually we did the whole thing again. Brought it home, and left it in the garage while I took the ice cream, etc. up to the fridge. That was the night of my second flood.

And guess what! :(

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that print is cursed.....

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Poor print. :(