Featured Thrift store art....

Discussion in 'Art' started by verybrad, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

That's weird, right? I've looked and just looked again w a bright light. There's just no indication.

Thanks for the comment.

mirana and komokwa like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Like this one quite a bit. Too bad it is not signed. I have tried to shy away from unsigned works but sometimes you just have to buy them.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't !
    I've dealt with more unsigned artwork than I ever thought possible....and for the reasons stated here & a host of others...

Potteryplease likes this.
  4. verybrad

A few more things to show. A dealer must have liquidated a bunch of these framed Victorian prints, as they keep showing up. I know they are not in fashion but how can you not buy them when they are so cheap?

This mediuym sized one was only $2.00. The square at the lower right is the reflection of my phone.
    thriftart12.jpg

Had to pay a whole $7.00 for this one. It is quite large and I will probably end up using the frame for something else.
    thriftart11.jpg
    This signed limited edition print is by respected local artist Harry Breen. Looks like it was issued as part of a bicentennial project here. Was $3.00 at the thrift store.
    thriftart10.jpg
    thriftart10a.jpg

I thought I had hit a good one here, as it was very difficult to tell this is a print. It has a varnish coat on it that mimics brushstrokes. It wasn't until I got it home and looked at it with a magnifying glass that I could tell it was a print. By well known artist Richard Mayhew. A large size painting such as this would approach $100K. How much is this very nice print worth? ...... Certainly more than the $4.00 I paid for it. ;)
    thriftart9.jpg

Figtree3, Boland, cxgirl and 4 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The exact same still life just showed up in my local ReStore. They're claiming it's old, but only put $30 on it. It's on board, but the closer to it I got the newer it was. I'm betting these came out of China about 30 years ago. The frame's the best part of theirs too.

Figtree3, moreotherstuff and verybrad like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

0982D7C0-0337-4008-8EFA-7A8CC57F7198.jpeg F100F1C8-C8F0-4E4F-B8BA-7DB8B025CE7B.jpeg 0A8FA51E-4BBF-442A-BA6B-B9FC6D6AB56E.jpeg This pleasant little pastel drawing was about $2. Was thinking the artist surname might be ‘van Rensburg’?

verybrad, Potteryplease and mirana like this.
  7. evelyb30

The sig is something P[dunno] R....y and it's dated '87. Best I can do.

Boland likes this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying. I was thinking P van Rensburg (but No luck)

9. verybrad

Rather like this. I also see first name: P??? Surname: R???by. Have you taken the back off to examine further?

Boland likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment. No I haven’t taken the back off. Tried some more combinations of names and did a reverse image search.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Like that. Very purposeful.

Debora

Boland likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment Debora

13. verybrad

Another good week for thrift store pickings here......

This huge serigraph was purchased with 2 other pieces here for $20.00 total, so maybe $10.00 for this one. It was falling out of the frame and I had to disassemble and re-mount the print. In the process, I found the artist name and title printed on the back. It is smudged but I was able to see enough to figure this is by listed artist Steven Strickland (b 1948 ). Good thing, as the signature is impossible. I still can not make out the title and can find no other works from this series. Any help in this regard is appreciated. Most of what I am finding are much more abstract.

thriftart13.jpg
    thriftart13b.jpg
    thriftart13d.jpg
    Enhanced...
    thriftart13c.jpg

Also part of the 3 piece buy, could figure maybe $8.00 for this one. This medium sized limited edition etching is by well known contemporary MI artist and sculptor Jay Lefkowitz. This signature also took a bit to figure out. There is a gift inscription by the artist on the back from 2008 with the giftees name scratched out. Looks like the gift was not so appreciated and was never hung .... LOL!
    thriftart16.jpg
    thriftart16a.jpg
    thriftart16b.jpg

The last of the three pieces was this old movie lobby card. Can figure a couple dollars on this one. Not pristine, but good presentable condition.
    thriftart17.jpg

These last 2 came from the Habitat for Humanity Re-store. They were $2.00 each.

This is signed what appears to be C. Switzer. Not completely sure of that first initial and I have not been able to attribute this. Has some age to it with a tacked canvas. 20" x 24".
    thriftart14.jpg

This last medium sized watercolor is signed, Goss. I have not been able to attribute this to any of the numerous painters with this name. It is a bit heavy handed and most likely by an amateur.
    thriftart15.jpg

Figtree3, stracci and Boland like this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Winhammmmm Wood II :hilarious:

Perhaps the first part is the name of a wood near where he lived.

stracci and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

etching of
    Wickersham Wood ll

that may not be close...... but I like the ' Wood ll ' part..

stracci and mirana like this.
  16. komokwa

sniped by mirana

17. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

What did I win?? :cool:

stracci likes this.
  18. evelyb30

Brownie points, provided you make yourself some brownies.

19. komokwa

A Free all inclusive one night stay at wherever you're already at !!!:playful::playful::jawdrop:

stracci, Bakersgma and mirana like this.
  20. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

27135470-A342-430F-B54E-BC23BCF93F33.jpeg FA5B4597-4051-48E3-892A-89B0846B9DD0.jpeg 01D84B03-23D1-4982-BCEB-BEFCA135C1C2.jpeg 2DED8B88-EDF9-49A4-8EFF-29B2846978FD.jpeg Drawings of different kinds of plant material. Was $1 for the both. I like the fine detail. Was thinking it will look cool framed.

Draft saved Draft deleted