Featured Thrift find today - small (5.5") purple vase with nudes around it

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Mar 8, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I don't have fluorescent light. I'll take pics tomorrow under black light

bercrystal likes this.
  2. journeymagazine

Got my blacklight (UV/dog & cat urine detector) in the mail & took photos of the vase with it.
    BUT! The image you see below is not what I saw with my eyes - I saw white with green edges/shadows? (I tried taking pics with & without flash but it didn't show it the way I saw it - what is that? Why is isn't it showing the white & green?

GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 1AA.jpg GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 2AA.jpg

I decided to try to photograph again, but this time it's night, darker & I took photos from farther away ( left it on the tall boy dresser where I'd placed it yesterday) - and I caught the white & green!
    So what kind of glass do I have?
    What is that in last 2 photos that looks like a necklace & medallion in the glass??
    Thanks all!

GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 7AA.jpg GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 7AAZ.jpg GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 6AAZ.jpg GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 6AAZXX.jpg GLASS VASE PURPLE NUDES 7AAZXXZZZZZ.jpg

3. journeymagazine

I looked up fluorescent flashlight & they all said uv too - so I don't know if the urine detector counts - but either way what is the necklace & pendant looking thing in last photo?
    A trademark/ marker?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

UV and fluorescent show different things. I've never had alexandrite glass under a blacklight to see what it does. Fluorescent bulbs are or were workaday lightbulbs (and those big long things in overhead fixtures), not blacklights.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

From the link Kronos posted way at the beginning of this thread. Some green fluorescence under the black light. Not spectacular, so if the glass does contain uranium in the formula it's not very much. Maybe this is what Journey is seeing but cannot capture with his camera.
    Screenshot_20230313-160008.png
    https://bincheys.com/products/bohem...ulptured-glass-grape-harvest-nude-maiden-vase
    But now... The test for Neodymium - Alexandrite. We want to see if it turns blue under fluorescent tubes!

This Etsy seller has done one of the most spectacular jobs I've ever seen of demonstrating the color change in photographs.
    il_794xN.2314388147_5w8t.jpg
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/782630...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
    il_794xN.2266789836_5h49.jpg

Bakersgma likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

Where can you see or use a fluorescent today? Even if I bought the long bulb I don't have the box? to put it in to light it up.
    I think I remember fluorescent light bulbs - I'll check for one.
    Any ideas what the necklace looking mark is that showed under uv/black light?

7. LauraGarnet02

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @journeymagazine Now that you mention it and are seeing it as a medallion, I can see it in the photo without the black light too. I think it's clusters of little flowers.

8. LauraGarnet02

You could try finding a small fluorescent light fixture made for installing under a cupboard to shine on kitchen countertops.

Geez I have huge fluorescent tube lights in the garage and I also have one of those small, under the cupboard fluorescent tube lights, which I've never installed. I got it new in the package at Goodwill a few years ago and have never stuck it up there yet. It comes with sticky pads, so no drilling or tools are involved.

I wish I could pass it to you through the internet, LOL. All you would have to do is plug it in and shine it on your vase.

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted