Featured The one that got away...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bosko69, Jun 9, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

You yanked the GW Tag & froze-'fear is the mind killer'-Dune.I've learned more than my share of tough lessons in this racket Johnny ! 'If it don't kill ya'-you know the rest.You do have great taste.

judy, johnnycb09 and stracci like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Wow!

3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

How about we all share a story of things we bought and later regretted? I bet we all have a couple of those too. Anyway, whenever I miss out on something the best way to feel better is to look on Liveauctioneers.com and not 1stDibs.

Chin.jpg

KylieS, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. bosko69

Mark-Live Auctioneers is a place I go to drool at the low prices.A place in this rarefied field where I can actually afford things !
    PS-Local pick-up only that is.

judy, Lucille.b and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

I DO sympathize!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. silverbell

This sad story reminds me of one of my own, which I regret to this day!! Back when eBay was rather new, I went searching for one of those banjo-shaped, barometer-clock-hygrometer things which apparently live on the wall somewhere in every English movie ever made.

At the time, there were a good many available and I looked carefully at every one I could afford. There was a very attractive old one that caught my eye. Unfortunately it was rather a bit more than I could afford, so I decided to think about it overnight.

Not a good idea. The next morning, when I had decided to afford it somehow, it was irretrievably gone.

Which is why I do not have upon my wall an instrument which, on rainy days, says so kindly,"Wear Your Wellies!"

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Damn ! I should have shelled out the $200 ! Thats just so gorgeous !

mark737 likes this.
  8. bosko69

Johnny-Walk the boulevard of tears,clear your eyes and see the next treasure.Think we've all been there amigo.

kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If the GW one was exactly the same as this, it does not look like a Mid-Century piece of furniture to me. I know the listing describes it as such, IMO the 1st Dibs one could be 1980s.

I actually prefer your existing cabinet! Nice clean lines.

Lastly, at least you didn't throw your back out lifting anything.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
    KylieS, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. bosko69

You'll find more Johnny.It's extremely weird that hyper-profit minded GWill priced this at $200.There still must be a few rogue branches in the GW domain.
    Still,i'd thought one of their 'cash bots' would've honed in on this.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I find the ones here to be strangely cheap on furniture. That being said,that cabinet was the best looking thing Ive ever seen in one of their stores. Other thrifts make up the slack,they are ridiculous on furniture.

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess is they marked it cheap thinking someone would get it out of their limited floor space, the better to fill it with Target leftovers.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. bosko69

Boy are they ever a Target dumpster fire ! Not even much IKEA let alone Dania,just mountains of Targ.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

For silver, so she remembers why she should wear wellies:

And himsel' on the all important wellie consciousness:

KylieS and johnnycb09 like this.
  15. silverbell

Echoes of the late, great Tommy Makem!!!!!

Thank you, AJ!!!!!!

(Am almost consoled for my loss.)

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted