Featured Teeny tiny Victorian brooch.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ownedbybear, Dec 21, 2018.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Have little doubt the peacock-eye is Bohemian/Czech, suspect the entire piece is Bohemian, probably late 19th-early 20th century gilt brass - pretty sure similar pieces are shown in Jargstorf's 'Bohemia' book (can check later...)

~Cheryl

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There are similar stones on page 146 of her book. She dates them as early 20th century, which would be consistent with the hinge.

A quote:
    "This variety of foiled glass is very sophisticated and very labor-intensive. Most of the stones and beads created thus were mounted either into mounts of precious metal or into very fashionable costume settings of the Art Nouveau style."

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very pretty! The Brass and Glass phrase for this kind of thing is new to me. Something new to research! I have a pin sort of like this general style, but without a colorful center stone. The whole thing is filled in with the smaller glass sparkly ones. I'm away from home for the week but will check it when I get back.

Bronwen, scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Many thanks Cheryl. I've found more on googling, I think I may have developed a new addiction. Hadn't come across peacock's eye glass before, which is surprising.

Bronwen and DragonflyWink like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

Shown on page 52 is a peacock-eye in a simple bezel setting that appears to be gilt brass, described as, "Brooch set with a molded cabochon composed like peacock feathers. The stone is from Gablonz, while the mount is most likely from Germany, late 19th/early 20th century."

Page 141 shows a couple of similar small round rhinestone brooches, one with a rainbow/iris rhinestone center rather than a peacock-eye, the other all rainbow/iris, they're described as, "...from Gablonz, late 19th century."

From Jargstorf's 'Baubles, Buttons and Beads: The Heritage of Bohemia' (1993):

Page 52: 112320189249.jpg

Page 141:
    1123201892430.jpg

Page 146:
    1123201892448.jpg

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Oh phooey. Not only have I now found a new addiction, but I need to go buy that book. ;)

Many thanks Cheryl, that nails it rather nicely.

Figtree3, Bronwen and DragonflyWink like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Oh hell, she's written paperweight books too. I am DOOMED!

Figtree3, Bronwen and DragonflyWink like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

Heh, I bought it when first published, for a friend who collected Bohemian/Czech brooches - liked it enough to get myself a copy because of the buttons and beads, often turn to it. I have her other three jewelry books too, and they're all similar in being overviews, with a good range of information, but not really going into great detail.

~Cheryl

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted