Featured Tang Sancai

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Why do you think these horses were unknown until early 20th century? I am highly skeptical of that information. Much Sancai pottery was left above ground and never buried; in addition many people with many graves and grave goods must have been plowed up over the thousand years since the Tang dynasty ended.

What is true, I suspect, is that the copies have gotten better over time as the originals have been better studied and faked.

This Antiques Roadshow is worth watching: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/se...als/fake-tang-style-horse-ca-1920--200303A09/
    The dirt your girlfriend washed off could well have been applied "patina" to help in the aging process.

mmarco102 likes this.
  2. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I have my hands full just living with my China doll, she won’t let me search Chinese anymore. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Silver Wolf likes this.
  3. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Marco,
    Horses were placed in tombs because of their mythical and symbolic power such as Success, Fame, Freedom and Energy. Horses such as yours weren't created just for use in tombs, they were used in Chinese palaces, temples and houses for centuries and still are. Think the amazing bronze 'flying horse' for another example.

Horses have a unique history in China and it is the Chinese (perhaps Mongolian, high plains people, Tibetan etc) who are credited with harnessing and taming wild horses and creating one of the most useful and beneficial animals in human history. The world's economic expansion from late 17th century (including trading Chinese ceramics to Europe) was done on the back of horses. As well as fine work animals, can you imagine the amazing horses an emperor must have had?

How would the American interior have been opened up (politics aside) without the horse?

Horses objects (including Tang) are still used in Chinese and other houses and have a clear symbolism in Feng Shui bringing Energy into the house. Heads must always face into the room, bringing energy in, otherwise, the energy will gallop out. Even my Thai partner was most insistent on this! Because of this energy, I did read there should not be any horses in the bedroom, which should be a place of serenity and relaxation, unless...

Your close-up photos show a much nicer blue colour than your original images. My sympathies on losing your little family of spiders, but what a fun story to be able to tell visitors. Perhaps you could use your horses in next year's Halloween! :)

4. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

whooah...seems like you knowing a lot about chinese feng shui:angelic:...and in chinese horoscope horse was the symbolic of success

Draft saved Draft deleted