Featured STORAGE UNIT AUCTION FIND - COLLECTION OF VINTAGE(?) HERMES SCARVES!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by journeymagazine, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Whatever you do... Don't take these in casually to be dry cleaned! The corner dry cleaner, unused to dealing with luxury goods, could press and flatten the hems. A plumb, hand-rolled hem is important. Without one, value plummets.

Debora

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Congratulations! The Hermes scarves appear to be authentic since it looks like the puffy hand rolled hems are rolled to the front side of the scarf, which is one clue to authenticity. They could be vintage 80s-90s, but I think you'd be okay just calling them vintage or pre-owned if selling on ebay or etsy. I sold 2 on ebay a few years ago and didnt have official authentication -- just described and showed close-up photos of the rolled hem, Hermes and artist signatures, any other wording, tags, etc. Tags are sometimes removed by owners, so if missing doesn't mean a scarf isn't authentic. Look closely for any teeny snags or picks in the silk and, if there, describe and photograph.

scoutshouse, judy and kyratango like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Debora - just so we can learn, how does someone go about authenticating these beautiful scarves?

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Your Burberry scarf can be dated by its logo which has evolved since the 1980s when it was Burberry's. At some point, the apostrophe was removed to make it friendlier to an international audience. (Now the "s" is gone too.)

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, don't remember off top of my head but... The eBay Clothing Discussion group has a number of posts that reference the best sources for authenticating designer scarves. Not terribly expensive as I remember.

Debora

scoutshouse and wiscbirddog like this.
  7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Will go there Monday or Tuesday Debora to find out how to check authenticity of large Hermes your not sure of if it is real it's worth over $1,000! (Have to wait till Monday or Tuesday because I'm driving to Savanah, Ga tomorrow morning to meet my sister (who's driving from Charlotte, NC) - I'm giving her the Michael Kors purse for Christmas & she has a large box full of designer costume jewelry from our mom for me).
    Thank you all for info, links, etc..!

scoutshouse, judy and kyratango like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Original retail price was over $1,000. Resale price will be under, way under. But not genuine IMHO. Wrong logo, wrong hem.

That said... Quite a haul, after all. So much fun; thank you for sharing.

Debora

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. Estaterestate

Estaterestate Well-Known Member

Noice find

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted