Featured Spoons...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DragonflyWink, Dec 10, 2017.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

This piece was irresistible, have never seen one like it - a 4½" long version of a wooden articulated acrobatic 'Monkey on a Stick' toy. The maker, Saunders & Shepherd were known for their novelty pieces, including a well-done 1899/1900 Boer War rifle souvenir spoon - this piece bears London, 1891/92 hallmarks, and a design registration number dating to March-April, 1892. He works beautifully, and just really makes me smile...

monkeyonastickspoon-composite.jpg

monkeyonastickspoon-poses-1.jpg

This illustration for a poem in an 1894 British weekly shows a similar wooden monkey on a stick:

monkeyonastick-1894poem-LikaJokoHarryFurnissIllustratedWeekly-a.jpg

~Cheryl

2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, how cute is that! Very, very cool, Cheryl!

kyratango and DragonflyWink like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i don't collect spoons.....but wouldn't pass that one by...it's more entertainment than spoon !!! :happy::happy::happy:

4. DragonflyWink

Hard to resist a bear, but especially a bear with a spoon! Mid 20th century Norwegian silver child's spoon by Aksel Holmsen:

beargirlspoonholmsen-1.jpg

Another Norwegian child's spoon, David-Andersen's 'Bjørn, Rev og Hare' (Bear, Fox and Hare), introduced in 1937 - not my picture, but I do have this spoon:

bearfoxharebjornrevharespoondavidandersenthmarthinsen.JPG
    This Wallace baby spoon has a sort of creepy/cute little girl dragging her jester doll, it's part of my Lily of the Valley spoon collection:

LOTVwallacebabyspoon1a.jpg
    ~Cheryl

5. DragonflyWink

Pretty little Swedish souvenir spoon by C.G. Hallberg, dated to 1891, the greater coat of arms of Sweden engraved in the bowl, and filigree covered ball finial, with the filigree wire continued down the twisted stem:

hallberg1891twistspoon-composite-2.jpg

Late 19th-early 20th century plique-à-jour spoon by Jacob Tostrup:

tostruppliquespoon-composite.jpg

Huge Norwegian wedding spoon dated to 1954, design based on earlier pieces, almost certainly made by a member of the Haugen family of Hallingdal. Carved from a single piece of birch, it measures 18" long including chains, the spoon itself 12⅜" long and 4⅝" across the bowl, which has a scribed foliate motif.

norwegianweddingspoon-haugen-1954-1.jpg

~Cheryl

kyratango, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I just saw this. It's the spitting image of Huckleberry Hound:D

[​IMG]

7. DragonflyWink

Hehe - exactly what my ex said when he saw it...

~Cheryl

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Cheryl - I thought of you Friday night when I was bidding on 2 lots of assorted sterling pieces, mostly spoons. I have all but about 9 pieces ID'd (not bad since there was 60+ pieces in the lots) & will post them begging for help as I get them photographed.

9. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I remember years ago selling 5 solid silver spoons from Canada featuring the Dionne quins. Each one had the image of a quin on the terminal. The buyer moaned that there were only 5. For years afterwards, whenever she came into the shop she moaned about only getting 5 spoons.

10. DragonflyWink

Too funny!

~Cheryl

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a set of 12 movie star spoons from the 1920s. I have had people write and ask if there were more since their favorite stars were not listed.:rolleyes:
    greg

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Popsycat, too bad you didn't think of the following when dealing with that woman. I wonder if my idea (below) might have made a fool soon part with all of her money.

I'm picturing two (hanging by chains) wooden spoon holders. The one on top would hold a "man" spoon and a "woman" spoon (father and mother Dionne) with both having their mouths hanging wide open and their eyes as big as saucers.

On a chain beneath the "Mom and Dad Dionne" wooden plaque would be a second wooden plaque with five "Dionne baby" spoons hanging at the bottom.

Sorry, I just could not resist. ;) :rolleyes: :shame: :D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Good idea. Pity I did not have that imagination at the time.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

This is a spoon from my collection, when acquired around 2005, I contacted a dealer who specialized in Gorham cast souvenir spoons, he happened to be working with another dealer and author, and was doing the photographs for a book on Gorham spoons. Turned out that the only other known example of this spoon was in the Gorham Collection at the Rhode Island School of Design, they had no idea of its origin, nor did it appear in the Gorham archives - my spoon was sent, heavily insured, for photography. I finally tracked down its story a few years later, and gave the information to the author in 2012 when he offered to buy it through the other dealer, he still didn't have one when he last tried to buy mine a couple of years later - the book was finally published last year, so unless he finally found one, the spoon pictured in the book is mine.

Designed by Syracuse jeweler E.B. McClelland for the Alpha Phi sorority at Syracuse University sometime between 1892 and 1895, made to order at a cost of $2.00, was still available as late as 1899...

Coffee spoon (demitasse):
    lotvspoonAlphaPhi-1.jpg

1895 illustration of the spoon:
    lotvspoonAlphaPhi-2.jpg

1898 advertisement:
    lotvspoonAlphaPhi-3.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Cheryl what a beautiful and apparently rare spoon!

16. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Hi Cheryl, I'm following this thread so I'm glad its still active. I'm also glad to see you here since I've been reading your posts at 925 for some time and you've given me some help there which I greatly appreciate. I have a bunch of spoons, including souvenir spoons, coin silver and sterling that I've collected over the years out in the wild (thrift, estate, etc.) - none from ebay. I think I posted only one of my souvenir spoons over at 925 since most are well enough marked that they are easy to trace. When I find the time I can post some pics of my souvenir spoons if you're interested - I don't think it will be useful if I do all of them in one photo since it will be from such a distance - maybe if I do it several at a time it won't take up so much space? Would that be of interest and is that the way to do it?

DragonflyWink likes this.
  17. DragonflyWink

Hi Jeff - glad I could be help on 925-1000, don't have much time to really participate much anywhere these days, but am enjoying sharing my spoons, and would love to see yours and any from other folks too. Please post them in any way you like...

~Cheryl

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

Thanks, S-I-S, it's a sweet little thing, bought it for a song online to add to my Lily of the Valley collection - fuzzy pics and bad description. At this point, it does seem to be a rare one, though one would have to think there must be others out there...

~Cheryl

kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  19. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Cheryl you are absolutely spoon mad! :woot: So is this thread. Never even thought of looking at spoons before, thought they were tacky but I’ve definately changed my mind! Spoon adverts, amazing. ;)

kyratango likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The ones made at the end of the craze are pretty tacky sometimes. The old originals were often pretty darned cool. I bought a pile of spoons at an estate sale, partially for an ornate demi-tasse in the pile. I'm going to list that one eventually. In the same baggie were two similarly sized spoons marked Kress. Come to realize they're from the Kress five and dimes - the same chain that saw a lot of the sit-ins down south. I don't know that these are from Birmingham or Charleston but they're definitely from the chain.

Draft saved Draft deleted