Featured Spoons...

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DragonflyWink, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My son-in-law would like the Gators!

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm with your S-I-L, I like the gators:) I don't really collect souvenir spoons but they often have incredible decoration.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

More spoons...

Norwegian Dragestil spoon by Marius Hammer, engraved dragon in the bowl, wonderful little grotesque guy blowing a raspberry at top:

mariushammerdragestilspoon-1.jpg

1871 Danish mocha/demitasse spoon with interesting marks - made by Copenhagen maker Vilhelm Christesen and designed by sculptor Christian Carl Peters - pieces bearing the angel mark were sold in a lottery for artwork, silver, furniture, etc., the proceeds used for the restoration of Frederiksborg Castle after a fire in 1859. The face is probably supposed to be King Christian IV, who wore similar bangs in his later years:

christesenfrederiksborglotteryspoon-1.jpg

christesenfrederiksborglotteryspoon-4.jpg

Believe this Norwegian demitasse spoon, by Hans Christian Østrem, is a souvenir of the Columbian Exposition - the bowl shows a rendition of the 'Viking', a replica of the ancient 'Gokstad Ship' that sailed from Christiania (Oslo) to Chicago for the fair. At the top of the twisted branch stem is a 'stabbur', a traditional farm storage house, the design in the bowl was inspired by an image in the book, "Viking" Across the Atlantic (1893), as is another spoon, by Marius Hammer, that I've owned for years:

ostremvikingspoon-1.jpg

ostremvikingshipspoonbowl1893photo-2.jpg

Marius Hammer Columbian Exposition spoon:

vikingshipspoonmariushammer.jpg

vikingshipspoonmariushammerbowl.jpg

~Cheryl

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

As always, Cheryl: LOVELY!

Christmasjoy and DragonflyWink like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

6. DragonflyWink

Piece I've wanted for some time, an Iron Maiden spoon from Nuremberg (Nürnberg), enamel bowl showing the Schöner Brunnen:

ironmaidenspooncomposition-1.jpg

ironmaidenspooncomposition-2.jpg

Goes well with the German-made mummy spoon I've had for years:

mummyspoon.jpg

Another off my want list, Pompeii 'vase' spoon, also German-made, a figural enameled vase as the finial, the bowl shows a bit from the putti frieze at the Casa dei Vettii:

pompeiispooncomposite-1.jpg

Venetian souvenir, also German-made, Lion of St. Mark in the bowl, the tiny stars are gold-foil under the enamel:

venicespoon-1.jpg

And an Italian-made souvenir of Perugia, with crowned griffin segreant (Bronwen, this would be the same as on your fork), the bust of a harpy is above the bowl showing the Fontana Maggiore:

perugiaspoon-1.jpg

~Cheryl

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The Mummy spoon is to die for! Such a lovely collection.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Not just any putti, Cupid & Psyche. She has squared off butterfly wings while he has pointed feather ones. Almost looks as though he is going after her with a net. The panther is the companion animal of Dionysus/Bacchus, so maybe Psyche has been carried away wine.

And I have a harpy on the spoon with the Medusa face bowl. Have a brooch with the same harpy.

Christmasjoy and DragonflyWink like this.
  10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I have a gazillion spoons, but absolutely NOTHING to rival Cheryl's collection!

(Hmmm... I wonder if anyone would visit if you opened a SPOON MUSEUM?)

11. DragonflyWink

Heh, my collection is pretty minor compared to a lot of collectors - I have a couple of rare treasures, but it's not particularly special overall...

~Cheryl

Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Minor or not, still an amazing collection, Cheryl! And you take great pictures too!

13. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I have sold a few spoons and cabinets but the one I'm most likely to keep is my sterling silver "Oscar" spoon made by the E.J. Towle Mfg. Company sometime between 1945-1980 when they went bust.
    Cheers
    Stephen
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Who, Stephen - that's pretty cool! I haven't seen one of those before.

DragonflyWink and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I hadn't seen one either. Don't know if it was sold in a Universal Studios tourist shop or part of a gift pack the executives handed out. Wish I could date it better. There might be an oscar nut out there somewhere who knows more.
    Cheers
    Stephen

DragonflyWink, Christmasjoy and SBSVC like this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I believe the mark indicates that it's after 1945, when the firm JOSEPH MAYER & BROS was absorbed into E.J.TOWLE, and before ~1980, when the E.J. Towle firm was sold.

Beyond that, I'd have to do some checking...

17. DragonflyWink

I've not seen an Oscar spoon like yours either - very cool...

~Cheryl

18. DragonflyWink

Pretty little 3⅜" Rococo Revival master salt spoon, George William Adams for Chawner & Co., London, 1856/57:

saltspoonchawnerrococorevivalcomposite.jpg

Mid 20th century Norwegian souvenir spoon by Aksel Holmsen, 4" long, nice enamel work, unfortunately, some deterioration of the gilding on the bowl...

holmsenenamelvikingshipspoon-1.jpg
    holmsenenamelvikingshipspoon-3.jpg

~Cheryl

Figtree3, Bakersgma and SBSVC like this.
  19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Ooooo! More pretties!

Figtree3 and DragonflyWink like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Cheryl, Thank you so much. Somehow my eyes jumped right over this at the time, dazzled by you wonderful spoons. Only just spotted it while reviewing this thread in connection with a new question from nicoladavies concerning a 'military' badge. :happy:

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted