Featured Some sort of stationary something? What are these Ivory objects?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by RachelW, Dec 27, 2023.

1. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

That looks like a Victorian era 'propelling' pencil on the right to me. If so, it does not appear to be broken. Here's a look at the end of another:

pencil.jpg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Good Grief, komo!
    An' I try so hard to be relevant!

RachelW and komokwa like this.
  3. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Both of us, I think the spelling function is missing from me :hilarious: although in my defense I did think it was Schrödinger xD

mirana and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my Dad smoked many pipes.....I too had a few gems, but it was not for me...still..
    i.v had this since then...
    . IMG_5448.jpg IMG_5449.jpg

sabre123 and RachelW like this.
  5. RachelW

Lovely, great bit of history then! Ty.
    That does indeed look similar! Fantastic thanks Sabre.

sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I read the year on the paper as 1947.

RachelW and komokwa like this.
  7. RachelW

Oh lookie there, it does look like it. I was searching for a year down at the bottom with the 20th of June inscription.

komokwa likes this.
  8. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

upload_2023-12-28_11-3-28.png I upload_2023-12-28_11-3-28.png I wonder if the first word could be Chanzy (Algeria)? I think the middle words could be "Sgt" (sergeant) followed by a surname. The bottom word looks like "demobilise" or similar to me.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, the something is 'Démobilisé', so demobilised (from the armed forces) in 1920.

I think I would rather not know what a shcrodinger is.:shame::bag:
    It is all French, with a surname that could be of Ukrainian origin.
    It could be. Chanzy is a French surname, but according to Wikipedia there is indeed an Algerian community that is also known as Chanzy, after the first Frenchman to settle there.
    Overhere you can sell ivory privately without certificate, but I don't know how long for.

The cigarette holder is ivory, but the other two look like they could be bone.

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  10. LucyLocket

I read the dates as being 1940s. If so Chanzy (and Sergeant) would fit with the North Africa campaign in WWll.

komokwa likes this.
  11. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Funny thing, I searched Chanzy and got nothing at all. :blackeye:

komokwa likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

As far as I know, the 1940 campaign was in Lybia and Egypt, so the eastern half of North Africa. It spread to Algeria later on.

But this doesn't have to be WWII related, there were French military in Algeria ever since the mid 19th century, when Algeria became a French colony.

komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  13. LucyLocket

As I said, the reason I made the WWll connection was because the date looked to me to read "194 ?" (not necessarily the actual year1940) but I couldn't make out the last number. The Fifth Army certainly had training centres in Morocco & Algeria in 1942/43. The Field Officers Training Centre was established in Chanzy in early 1943.
    Of course if it is an entirely different date I'm barking up the wrong tree anyway!

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you....search......found nothing...:jawdrop:....... I'm aghast !! ...... :wideyed:
    or, a guest ! ..... I'm never quite sure..;):playful::playful::playful::playful:

pearlsnblume, RachelW and Roaring20s like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

This is an item with a French text, found in France. The place name is in a French colony. What makes you think the sergeant was not French, albeit with a Ukrainian sounding name?
    And the date, whether 1920, which Rachel and I read, or 1940, has a zero at the end, so it is either 1920 or 1940, which means 1942/43 is too late a date.

16. LucyLocket

I had no idea where the item was found other than somewhere within the EU.
    As to the date (at the top) I have said a couple of times now that I cannot make out the last number. To my eyes it could possibly be 1942 or 1947 but I just can't tell. I thought Rachel had said that the bottom date was 20 June with no year shown? That's how it looks to me too.
    Of course the Sergeant could have been French but with that surname I just wondered if he could possibly have been with the US army that's all.

RachelW likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Americans landed in North Africa in 1943, at least during WWII. The top line looks like Chanzy [something] 1942, and if so American doesn't fit.

RachelW likes this.
  18. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Schrodinger's lines -- they could be there and they could not be there...:D

19. LucyLocket

US troops first landed there as part of Operation Torch (8 - 16 November 1942) which was the Anglo-American Allied invasion of French Algeria & Morocco.

RachelW likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

You're right, Rachel didn't. I read '20 on the label, which is usually 1920, which is what I assumed it to mean.

But that still leaves the French language.
    I'm sorry, but your reasoning just doesn't make sense to me, I can't see any logic to it. Why would a French language item with a name from a French colony be American? Even if the date was in the 1940s?

Btw, there are Dutch people with a Ukrainian surname as well. And most refugees from the 1917 Russian revolution fled to France. Ukraine was part of Russia at the time.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    RachelW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted