Featured Some more jewelry from the same lot as the last cpl posts. Necklaces & pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Jan 2, 2023.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It says Athenai, plural form, just as in English. Surely the goddess is not designated this way?

IvaPan likes this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

J Dagger, IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I live on a farm in Missouri. We have many owls and hear them as well as see them. I have a fireplace in my bedroom and a great horned owl likes to sit up on the chimney at night and Hoot. I have spotted him up there several times during the day. They are one of my favorite birds.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I see hawks here, but not the owls. I've had hawks fly in front of my car before, far enough ahead of me to be long gone before the car got to the same spot.

J Dagger, IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I was head bumped by a great grey owl , as a kid on a camping overnight in La Verndrye provincial park...

[​IMG]

they like to goof around.....

J Dagger, Bronwen, stracci and 2 others like this.
  6. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Good point. Although in modern Greek it is only singular (as all Greek names). I have always wondered why in English it is plural, in Bulgarian it is singular (as in Greek) but in Russian it is also plural - Афи́ны. So, it appears to be the archaic form of the name of the city from the times of Homer, also it referred to the whole Attica region:
    https://el.wiktionary.org/wiki/Ἀθῆναι
    In Greek and in Bulgarian they use the modern form, in English and in Russian - the archaic one.
    So it indeed appears to be a souvenir from Athens using its archaic name and depicting the symbol of the city - an owl, with a horse shoe for luck.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Bronwen likes this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Indeed!
    Quite close, I would say :) Owls are very cautious, fly silently and go out only during the night so indeed it is hard to come close to them. And it can be scary during the night, I fully agree. Owls can see us in the night but we cannot see them (without special equipment), so they have an advantage. And they are at home, we are intruders into their realm.

J Dagger and kyratango like this.
  8. komokwa

and go out only during the night.....

ummmm, that's Vampires !!

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Actually different owls have different "hours" .Some owls are diurnal -day hunters and some hunt at dusk and dawn Crepuscular. My 9 year old granddaughter is an owl enthusiast. We went to a aquarium with a bird of prey exhibit. Audra ,7 at the time began rattling off all these facts. I soon noticed that she had acquired quite a following staying close by to hear her expertise! We have hawks on every fence post practically , bald eagles and frequently see owls during the day. Bird feeders are cafeterias for hawks and owls. That is one advantage to having few neighbors.

IvaPan and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

bald eagles......

put a dead fish in the yard.......you'll make friends !!:hilarious::hilarious:

IvaPan likes this.
  11. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Lark, for the information, I learnt something :) And bravo to your granddaughter, it is good to see such a devotion from a young girl.
    Actually I am aware about the owls in the park nearby, and these are Eurasian scops owl, Little owl and Long-eared owl (I admit that had to check the names in internet, I know them only in BG). The first one gives a very characteristic sound and we (with my husband) often hear it when walking in the park at dusk in the spring and summer, in the winter it migrates. The second one is the species that used to sleep on the pine tree near our place. The third one we once saw in the park by chance again at dusk. All these owl species are nocturnal. There are signposts in the park giving information about the birds that live there so I checked the information about the owls we encounter, otherwise I wouldn't know which they were.
    I realise my knowledge is quite limited and there are many other types of owls in the world. So thanks again for the update :) Owls indeed are very interesting birds.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    Bronwen, komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  12. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@Lark - I’m on 15 acres in GA (my grandparent’s place) & it gets pitch black at night if there’s no moon… when my mom & I started cleaning the place up, I had a rule : long gone by sundown! (Plenty of spooky things go on afterward!)

One day we were running late. We got outside & immediately I hear the most BIZARRE sounds - (me: WTF IS THAT?!? mom: IDK! me: ITS COMING CLOSER, GET IN THE CAR!!!)
    Then great whooshing is added to the cacophony, and what certainly sounded like Vampires (lol komo) descending upon poor mortals…. yes, in fact it was several large owls coming in for a better look (I’m sure their convo was similar to ours lol)

We have some Florida panthers or other cat creatures roaming around also who sound like a woman’s blood curdling screams as she faces untold horror.
    Another night (I was used to the owls by then) I had just stepped out onto the front porch which faces a large pond about 50’ away - pitch black & utterly silent - & hear the cat scream pierce the stillness, immediately followed by accompanying owls HOOOOOT HOOO HOOOOOO!!
    All headed toward me like a train!
    I said ok, bye then & jumped inside but walked straight back to the back porch in the exact moment the screaming thing ran right past & its be-feathered, be-taloned & be-beaked companions from hell followed in flight. Jumped inside & gave up going out for a month.

Oh. Every. Single. Thing. looks like a snake lol so I carry that anxiety.

In my defense I’ve been a NY city guy all my adult life till a couple years back. I love the owls now & have become a pretty good mimic, so we chat sometimes. The scream machine & whatever growls at me in the dark? Yeah they can go back to Beelzebub

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    komokwa, Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We've a large population of urban foxes here. First time you hear a vixen scream you'd call 999.

14. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

You are right. I hear them in our woods.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

and also

which is terrifying.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  16. komokwa

@Rufus@frockstarvintage ......
    NYC....to 15 acres in the wilds of Georgia .....that's some kinda difference !!!
    :eek:

Bronwen likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Listen to a Fisher cat too. Those things ... no thanks, but I'll cheerfully take the wild kitties. Wild kitties eat squirrels, chipmunks and mice and the occasional stray dog. Might take out a coyote or two while they're at it. I wouldn't cry too hard about the coyotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted