Featured Sold Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by daveydempsey, Oct 16, 2023.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This find wasn't mine, but DS#2, who I've talked about quite a bit, the other collector in the family.
    He found a shoe box full of about 800 sports cards last weekend at a garage sale. He paid $23 for it. All of the cards were late 1960s American football or baseball cards in excellent condition. He recognized some big names, but since he doesn't collect sports cards he decided to put them up on Facebook Marketplace.
    He posted these photos and asked for offers.

image000003.JPG image000000.JPG image000001.JPG image000002.JPG image000004.JPG

He immediately got offers of $100 - $200. Then someone offered $1,500. DS#2 sent the person his phone # and asked him to call. They chatted for a few minutes. The person specifically collects cards from this era. The buyer cashapped the money, DS#2 transferred it to his bank, withdrew the money, and mailed the cards this AM.
    A great score for him!

NewEngland, Sedona, Figtree3 and 10 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wowie Book. that is some score.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am just a year older and no medications and physically fit. Yard work and the stairs in this old house keep me in shape. I do most of my ebay and etsy selling during the winter.

4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a sold thread.

kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Whomever that kid was who collected those cards....G-d bless him !;)

I would have liked to have found those......just to play with them !!:happy::happy::happy:

and just look at the condition !!!!!!!!

mint in BOX !! :hilarious::hilarious:

6. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I like this idea for a thread. Just a few of my nicer sales this year, somehow i had less than $50 total invested in these.

Dark Horse Small Troll Doll $200

DSC_0016.JPG

1950's Civil Air Transport (CAT) passenger package, $300

DSC_0016.JPG

104 Pc. C Hugo Pott Flatware Set, $1500

DSC_0010.JPG

1937 Think & grow Rich 1st edition, $500

DSC_0046.JPG

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

@komokwa Have you seen the TV show, Salvage Kings? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11420972/ DH and I watch it whenever we see it on the cable guide. Ted's a hoot and he gets some big dollars for something I would pay maybe $5 for, LOL! Hope there are more episodes to come.

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

Sorry, nope, never seen it !

I used to watch AP, & pawn stars......but when the controversy got too much...I bailed.

I see Auction hunters from time to time....for a laugh, and still catch the Roadshow....when I can.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is a cute troll doll. I have 2 that I got a yard sale. One is Frankenstein and the other is a wish troll.

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Most, if not all of the Roadshows are on YouTube now. I put them on in background when I’m working often recently. I wasn’t even looking for them. They just popped up for me based on the algorithm. I don’t watch broadcast tv anymore so I hadn’t seen American RS in many years. They have a British roadshow channel on the Pluto app I would watch sometimes. It’s nice when they do the price updates so you can see how the markers have changed.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. J Dagger

If I didn’t love all the other stuff so much I’d sell nothing but ephemera. Great market for it, it can be had cheap in many instances, easy to store, easy to ship, easy to photograph, which means easy to list. It’s win, win, win, win… just delicate and sometimes smelly but great market to get into. I just get bored easily and can’t list too much of it. I have thousands and thousands of decent postcards but can’t seem to list more than 5 at a time.

Edit: There is nothing better than making hundreds or thousands of dollars on a single piece of paper or so. I’ve done very well on historical documents. Anything related to civil war era south in particular. It amazing the niche collectors for just random vintage paper too. I grab almost anything I find and pay peanuts for most of it.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I agree. Always interested when new members post recently inherited furniture inquiring about value. And I want to scream "Look in the drawers!" and "Don't throw anything out!" because ephemera (e.g. "old papers") so likely to get overlooked and can have surprising value.

Debora

NanaB, J Dagger, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Perfect for the spokes of your bicycle!

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DINGDINGDING! I bet the buyer takes out what he wants and if he resells the rest, gets a decent chunk of his money back. Those old cards are like coining money.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bought a leaflet about gas mantles in a charity shop for a quid, once. Tracked down a descendant of the author and emailed him. Would I take sixty five quid? Too right.

Mind you, I also buy ephemera linked to my family and to my local area.

mirana, KSW, J Dagger and 1 other person like this.
  16. evelyb30

Sometimes the oddballs are worth the most money.

KSW, J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

I did that with my extra Batman cards !!!

When I was a lad, we had a burst water pipe in the basement.....
    mom... threw out all my trading cards..... 100's....upon 100's..... and half my comic collection.:arghh::arghh:

moreotherstuff and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. evelyb30

Grandma threw out my dad's cards when he went into the army...in 1954....including a Mickey Mantle rookie.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  19. J Dagger

Mom and grand mom threw out every kids cards from the time they were first made until the 80’s. Which is why 80’ and 90’s cards are generally worth very little. That’s when people started seriously collecting them and they starting printing untold millions of them. Of course that’s the era all my cards are from. Many thousands collecting dust in my parents basement, waiting for the flood that reaches that shelf. My father too speaks of Mickey Mantles, bike spokes, and mom tossing.

mirana, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. J Dagger

Often times!

Figtree3, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted