Featured Small ivory box - what purpose?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I recognize the ivory dance card, but what are the other two Ball items? Patch holder and...

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Smelling salts ?

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I'd say smelling salts, in case the young lady became overwhelmed by the attentions of that scandalous young Mr. McDowell, the cad, who has been making advances on all the finest damsels of the county all evening, without a thought of following through with them. He's an impossible rake, but very popular.

She protested, but mother WOULD insist on inviting him, because his father is the chairman of the board of the charity hospital, and he really isn't SUCH a dreadful young man! But then mother never really did know the worst of it...

...I'm extremely sorry...I dunno where I'm going with this, but those items just started bringing out the writer in me...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Fabulous ! keep going ! :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yes, Shangas... and then? AND THEN?????

6. Shangas

Now come along. You didn't seriously want more.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

*tries hard to fake an innocent blush*
    Of c-c-course not, Shangas...

8. Shangas

Katherine tensed as she felt his hands on her! She whirled around and glared at him...was he always this infuriating? It had been nearly a year since she'd seen him last, and that was nearly a year not long enough!

"I see that you've been sending me my letters back, the seals unbroken. Could it be that you're far too enamoured of me even to break them and see what contents they hold?"

"Hardly!" she hissed, snapping her fan open and waving it furiously to cool herself off. The impossible rake was hardly any better than Mr. Vanderstaal, but he at least, had more to recommend him, even if his father was just a tailor! "Good day, Mr. McDowell!"

"Jasper, surely..."

A hand stroked her glove.

"Good day, Jasper!" she hissed, pulling her hand away from him, turning, and then colliding with a thoroughly different specimen of manhood.

"Well! That was a spirited display, now wasn't it?"

"I'm NOT in the mood for your flippancy Mr. Vanderstaal!"

"Oh but I'm in the mood for yours...come along...I'll help you forget about him..."

She sighed. Oh whatever! At least he was easier on the eyes.

"Alright!" she sighed, and snapped her fan shut. At least he would be a pleasant distraction...

...aaaaaaaaaaand the rest is up to you, or else the mods will probably kick my ass...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

While the mods may indeed consider having a go at you , your loyal fans, who's ears have been pricked up by your flurry of well strung together words , no doubt wish you would continue the ongoing trials of Katherine's sorted affairs !

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Should that be "assorted" or "sordid," Komo?

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

Both ....together !!! :)

My Dad's famous for making up his own words.......I sometimes follow suit......

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. komokwa

Or....did you expect that I would sheepishly admit that I spelled a word wrong ...

Ha !!

I shall not be thrown under that bus so easily !!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Messilane and Bakersgma like this.
  13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Who says learning about antiques can't be... stimulating?! :wideyed:

Draft saved Draft deleted