Featured Shirtless Wild Bill Hickok tintype c.1870's.. input?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by rybu5000, May 11, 2023.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They were commonly used by portrait photographers in that era. There are probably other names for them also. I like the latest picture you posted. Good find!

Debora likes this.
  3. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Just playing around - I am in no way qualified to do this - but I tried the following:
    1. I took a photo of Hickok in his later years - and tilted it to have the face straight.
    Hickok 1.jpg
    2. I marked the vertical placement of the chin, crease of the mouth, tip of nose, bottom of ears, and eyes through the irises.

Hickok 2.jpg 3. I took the picture from the OP and adjusted the tilt of the head.
    subject photo 1.jpg
    and 4. superimposed the guideline template created in (2) I sized his head to match the eye line and the chin line. You can see that when I do that the mouth and ears are slightly off and the nose is way off. His shoulders also appear to be a bit lower and wider than Hickok's. It also looks like Hickok may have had some facial scars that the other doesn't.

subject photo 2.jpg
    I know that the results I got could change if one of the subjects was tilting his head forward, if I were working with larger high res photos, and if I actually knew what I was doing beyond what I've learned from TV. So for what it's worth... :pompous:

4. rybu5000

rybu5000 New Member

Thank you so much for that, now I can move on haha. This photo was buggin the hell out of me. Still though, does anyone have any idea why he'd be shirtless?

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Google gives quite a few shirtless photos, many seem to be of healed injuries. Is that little spot on his chest a speck of dust on the photo or might it be a healed wound?

Figtree3 and 2manybooks like this.
  6. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Well... the shirtless guy was balding at the front. Hickock appeared to have a fairly full (IMO iconic) head of hair even in his 30's. James Butler 'Wild Bill" Hickok - Kansas Memory Shirtless guy's eyes appear to be set closer together and his nose is a bit different as well.

Doesn't look like Hickock to me, however I'm no expert. If I owned the picture, I would assume it's not Hickock unless verified by 1 or more Hickock experts.

rybu5000 and 2manybooks like this.
  7. rybu5000

rybu5000 New Member

My initial theory was that it was in fact a medical photo. I do believe the mark on his chest is a scar and not dirt/blemish of the emulsion. I'm not getting many hits at all for shirtless tintypes, and none of the few medical ones i can find have the subject posing. Certainly no staging/backdrops ect.
    Plus his cheeks are tinted.. seems like more of a glamour thing than medical documentation. At any rate, all the other shirtless ferros I've found are obviously boxers, or some type of performer.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. rybu5000

rybu5000 New Member

Well thanks for the input everyone =] I'll hang on to these til I know more.

Born2it and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I see the similarities you point out, but I don't think so. The ears are totally different and that's usually the first thing you look at. Also, the eyes of your photo are slightly downturned on the outside. If anything, as he got older that would be more pronounced. Bill's eyes are nearly straight across. Close, but not him.

techbiker likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice to see you again , Bev !!!

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm actually NOT WORKING this week!!! We hired a wonderful young woman two years ago and she's fully trained. It's still a two person job so we advertised and found another wonderful candidate - only to have our other person give notice that she's leaving May 20th for greener pastures (medical bennies & 401K). As a small, family business we can't offer that. :(. So, while there's overlap, I get a week off then I'll be back to the grind. Everyone is looking for help.

Born2it, silverbell, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  12. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Very interesting. The shirtless thing is unusual. I wonder if he was some sort of athlete or performer, as his arm is posed in such a way that you can see his bicep. Or, the theory that it could be medial related is also plausible. His eyes are different.

Draft saved Draft deleted