Shaker Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Illielee, Dec 15, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

So, I guess we can let that overlay drawer front "decoration" slide.:hilarious:
    For a moment there I thought we might have to call in a church elder!:eek:

judy likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I will not be changing cabinets. If it ain't broke..............I just don't like them......

Cherry might be what I'd "chose", but it doesn't mean they would be affordable for me to do so.

I'm stuck where I am, but grateful enough to be happy to have a home.

James Conrad likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Beautiful example Shaker tables.

James Conrad likes this.
  4. James Conrad

I hear you! The problem with kitchen costs isn't just the cabinets although they can be substantial, it's all the other stuff!
    It's plumbers, electricians, carpenters, flooring, lighting, appliances, bla bla bla, every tradesman known plus all the other junk, HIDEOUSLY expensive these days when you add all those components up.

judy likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have a nice big kitchen......I haven't changed a thing about it in the years I've been here. EXCEPT we took down a bedroom wall immediately and made that bedroom a den when we moved in......it's where the tv is. I have a very small room off the kitchen that has become my sewing/pc room.

Our major remodeling, when we moved in, was to the bedrooms on the 2nd floor. There was absolutely no choice but to do so.

We had a wonderful "handy" man who could do everything and was more than fair with his pricing.

James Conrad likes this.
  6. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

saw those and one here as well attributed https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/union-village-shaker-side-tables-3213369 Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 12.12.43 PM copy.jpg

judy and James Conrad like this.
  7. James Conrad

That is a full-on cock beaded drawer front in the photo above where they take thin strips of wood and wrap them around the drawer edge.
    Your table OTOH hand is called a "scratch bead" where they cut/scratch a groove on the face of the drawer front edge that makes it look like it is cock beaded.
    Cock-Beaded drawer
    5349999_snip_1548399458435_preview.jpg

Scratch Beaded drawer/ cut a groove in the drawer face
    scratching-a-groove-into-the-drawer-front (1).jpg

Still, the Shakers frowned on decoration/ornamentation in their furniture, they considered it "not honest".
    They did not use imported woods either, strictly native species, the Shakers were "hard-core" in their beliefs & religious practices.
    Minimalist design that is extreme to the point of "understated elegance" is how I would put it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    judy likes this.
  8. James Conrad

Another thing that should be noted here, Shakers in the West, (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) were far away from church elders in the East & it's very possible more "liberties" were taken with design issues. These villages were largely populated by southerners and came from a different background than the eastern communities.
    Another issue was the Shakers in Union Village purchased much furniture from the "world" (outsiders) so hard to figure out what exactly is what, furniture-wise. Their businesses tended toward "farms and industries which included broom making, garden seeds, medicinal herbs and extracts". Did the western villages have furniture factories as they did in the east? I don't know but I kind of doubt it.
    New research is needed and being done but still, a long way to go on that front.
    The Magazine Antiques published an article about the western villages this year, it is not definitive but HEY! It's a start!
    https://www.themagazineantiques.com/article/current-and-coming-kentucky-shakers-at-the-speed/

judy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

About the Cowan sale of attributed Union Shaker stands, there are 2 of them that sold together for $984. with BP included so not exactly what one expects price-wise in period Shaker furniture forms.
    The second one looks more shaker to me than the photo of the cock-beaded one you posted, except for the feet. That's a problem with Union Village at the moment, very little solid provenance on their furniture. Add in it doesn't "look" like traditional Shaker with minimalist design features & you get 2 stands that sold for less than 1k.
    That Enfield stand OTOH a page or so back with rock-solid provenance sold at Skinner for $52,000. and change, a HIDEOUS number for a single drawer work stand.:eek:
    As usual, it is all about the details.

judy likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You sure do know your furniture!

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted