Shaker Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Illielee, Dec 15, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

The weird thing to me is, they BOTH had the same marketing problem, although catering to totally different clientele. The perception by the general public of shoddy machine-made furniture in the mid 19th century.
    Sound familiar?
    A Belter parlor suite would cost the average workman 4 years of wages/salary where you could buy a Shaker chair for say $8.-$10.
    We KNOW who won that argument!:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    judy likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I would agree with you on just Shaker for the home.....too too plain.......as well made as it is.

I'm more the Belter style......but not quite so ornate.

I tend Victorian for LR & DR, and the rest of the house more Country..........which could mean anything........

It wasn't until I visited the Shaker Village so many years ago, that I realized just how wonderful it is. It fits with their lifestyle, but I could never be that straight! LOL!

James Conrad likes this.
  3. James Conrad

I am betting you guys have Shaker-style somewhere in your house and DONT EVEN KNOW IT!:hilarious:
    Even IKEA carries Shaker in their kit/bath cabs, they may be Swedish but they know what SELLS!:p
    I am not sure why period Shaker has held its prices over the years but it has, one thing for sure, the chairs are not comfy.:oops:

judy likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I know I have a box or two!

James Conrad likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

But then, James, if it's not made by the Shakers, then it just isn't Shaker!!!!!

In the style of doesn't make it so..............:cat:

James Conrad likes this.
  6. James Conrad

CASE CLOSED! ANOTHER SHAKER MYSTERY SOLVED!:hilarious:
    Every kitchen cabinet shop in America carries a shaker line of cabs...........

7. James Conrad

NO! There is Shaker STYLE! it's not period but it's still SHAKER DESIGNED!:happy:

8. James Conrad

Tell you what, google "kitchen cabinets" and see what happens!
    CASE CLOSED!.......................:singing:

9. James Conrad

Here, let me help you! :)

"Shaker Is the Most Popular Cabinet Door Style
    The majority of renovating homeowners who upgrade their kitchen cabinets choose a Shaker door style (61%) for the new cabinetry, with flat-panel (21%) a distant second and raised-panel (18%) the third-most popular.Jan 9, 2020"

and

"What is the most popular type of kitchen cabinet?
    Shaker cabinets are the most popular style of kitchen cabinets. The design is simple and the square panel doors match well with any type of hardware."

judy likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Oh OK! Since the cabinets are, Keyword, DESIGNED by the Shaker then that makes them Shaker, even though they did not make each and every one that hangs in someones home?

I haven't googled Shaker cabinets, but I shall. I will probably like them.

James Conrad likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

OK....googled......nice. I could live with them. Not sure if it's what I'd chose if I was re-doing kitchen, and, I have no idea what else there is that I might like more.

They are certainly nicer than what I have at the moment.

James Conrad likes this.
  12. James Conrad

There are 3 basic styles for kit cabinet doors, Shaker, Slab & Raised Panel

door-styles.png

Here in the States, Shaker RULES at 61% with Slab (European) at 21% and Raised panel dragging up the rear at 18%
    In Europe, I am guessing Slab is the big dog but not sure about that.

judy likes this.
  13. James Conrad

Correcto-Mundo!

judy likes this.
  14. James Conrad

Uh OHHH, I see "shaker" kitchen cabs in Judy's future! Judy goes STRAIGHT!:hilarious:
    Preferred by Americans at 3 to 1 over all other styles.

judy likes this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

OMG that's funny! "Judy goes STRAIGHT!"

Although I'd love to change my cabs, I am just going to have to live with them.

I like the raised panel look. But never would I choose oak.

I think the slab would be the easiest to keep clean.

James Conrad likes this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Actually, although I've lived with them for 40 years, I had to get up and look at the type I have now. SLAB!

Don't think I'd want them again if I were to change. Unless maybe in cherry.

James Conrad likes this.
  17. James Conrad

Yeah well, if you go with solid Cherry cab doors/drawer fronts,
    GET OUT YOUR POCKETBOOK!
    Kitchen remodels are BIG business here, you can drop some SERIOUS money on them & many do.

judy likes this.
  18. James Conrad

Still, although Cherry is expensive, Walnut is now in the "crazy money" category I hear from woodworkers so, you got THAT goin for you!:)

judy likes this.
  19. James Conrad

Hmmmm, I take it back, a little.:p
    Enfield NH single drawer stand, with a thumb molded drawer & rings at the top of the legs!
    HEY! Somebody FELL OFF the "no decorations" wagon in Enfield!
    These period Enfield stands START at $40,000. USD and go up from there.
    I have always lusted for one of these stands, it's an iconic Shaker form, perfect proportions.

Shaker single drawer stand, Enfield NH C. 1830

enfield.jpg

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  20. James Conrad

Although to be fair, they are 2 different types of drawer fronts, 1 drawer is "inset" where the drawer is totally within the drawer opening and the Enfield drawer above that has an "overlay" where the drawer front overlaps the frame.
    On an overlay drawer front, you pretty much have to have some kind of detail on the drawer edge or, it would look weird.
    Here we have a 2 drawer Enfield stand with inset drawer fronts, notice the collar/ring where the round leg transitions to the square frame, an Enfield construction signature.
    https://www.shakermuseum.us/object/?id=3770

Enfield NH 2 drawer stand in Birds-eye, Tiger & Curly maple

1954-6954-1-3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    Bakersgma and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted