Scrimshaw? pendant necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 916Bulldogs123, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Close, King Kamehameha.:)

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ.
    Have you noticed how lazy I am? I could have checked the spelling and didn't.:cat:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

To my eye, the example you have posted (the oval pendant) is clearly ivory, even if the seller wants to call it antler. The size and shape is consistent with a cross section of an elephant tusk. The whole surface is smooth and fine grained, and the outer edges are also smooth. The cracks around the edges, and faint concentric lines (the photo is not quite clear enough to confirm the schreger lines that @quirkygirl suggests) are also consistent with elephant ivory:
    ivory cross section.jpg

With antler the only place you can get a reasonably large, relatively smooth cross section is from the pedicle/burr, and the edges would preserve the knobby growths shown in your examples of the burr. As a fast growing material, antler is a coarser grain, and in your first burr you can still see the spongy characteristic of the center. The smaller antler disks you illustrate are from the tips of antler, the only other place you can get a solid piece. As demonstrated by the quarters used for scale, these are much smaller than the ivory pendant.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    stracci likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I know the feeling.;) Us ADD-ers have enough on our plate sometimes.
    Adding the little 'sp' was enough of a hint.

5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

so what's the verdict on mine? I'm a tad bit confused.

6. Any Jewelry

I think we are off on a side-track again. Maybe we'll come back....;)

7. 2manybooks

Sorry, @916Bulldogs123, we wandered a bit off topic (it frequently happens here). I still think yours is a cross section of antler with an insert of some other material. It is difficult to be certain without being able to see the edges of the insert, or a photograph detailed enough to reveal the presence of schreger lines (which are diagnostic of elephant ivory). It could possibly be from an antler tip, but it looks bigger than would be feasible from a tine, and the color is whiter than the surrounding example of the antler being used. I suspect the insert is elephant ivory because of the color and the fine grain appearance. Alternatively, it could be some sort of synthetic. It is just really hard to tell without having it in hand.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Mikey, the cross-hatching pattern you see on the side of this piece are the Schreger lines 2manybooks mentioned:

upload_2020-3-2_20-16-0.jpeg

2manybooks and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

I see it. Thanks. I'll look and see if I can get a better picture.

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. 916Bulldogs123

Well I don't see any schreger lines.
    AIvory.JPG

11. 2manybooks

No, I don't see any schreger lines, or any pores that might indicate it is bone. I cannot tell what it is made of. Sorry.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  12. tlema

tlema New Member

Pendant is antler.

13. 2manybooks

Welcome, @tlema.
    Please read the entire thread. It is agreed that the body of the pendant is antler. The question has been the identification of the scrimshaw insert, which appears to be something other than antler.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

This is a studio button, just over 1" in diameter, that I bought at a button show and framed for my Mom 25-30 years ago, scrimshaw by Wahaba Heartsun on a nicely polished disc cut from the side of the antler (I bought my brother a burr slice with a lion at the same time) - and antler will certainly crack if it gets soaked and dries too fast. Can't really see any reason that the inset piece couldn't be antler too...

25202023838.jpg

25202023821.jpg

This new antler pendant shows some cracks on the surface:

antlerpendantetsy.JPG

https://www.etsy.com/listing/669981...f=sr_gallery-3-3&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

Regarding the oval pendant, would think if elephant ivory, it would show some Schreger lines as on the tusk slice, agree the images are not ideal, and will admit to failing eyesight, but I just don't see any Schreger lines, though the back appears to show pretty clear saw-marks. At 1-3/8" wide, seems it could be a slice from high quality antler/staghorn (likely from a Sambar deer), but certainly couldn't say for sure...

antlersambarstagquality.JPG

https://www.knifehandles.com/stag-horn-and-bone

An antler scrimshaw pendant of similar size and shape:

antlerpendantebay-1.jpg

antlerpendantebay-2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Craft...925345?hash=item41fd8fab21:g:5iMAAOSw4jxb8DxV

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. 916Bulldogs123

I'll just let the buyer decide. I still think it is just antler. Maybe a coating of something for the scrimshaw to make it whiter.
    Mikey

Draft saved Draft deleted