Scrimshaw? pendant necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 916Bulldogs123, Feb 29, 2020.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

This could be a Franken-piece(LOL) put together by a jewelry maker in the 70's, who was just being creative. Who knows ?
    I live in the Southwest, and NA doesnt mean it has to be a fabulous signed piece by any means. Most NA jewelry makers work out of their homes and some churn out lots of cheesy stuff just to make a buck. The really great NA jewelers do awesome quality pieces and sign their work.
    This thing just has a Native vibe to me, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    DragonflyWink likes this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I can see the NA look, and jewelry makers were often trying for that effect, but personally, would just have serious doubts that it's actually an NA piece - more likely, as you suggest, made by some hippie (and we were all over, Hawaii a nice warm place to hang out). Don't believe tigertail had been around very long when I bought it back then, we bought it by the foot off large reels, the use of crimp-beads had to be explained, and no special crimping pliers were available.

I do like the piece, though...

~Cheryl

stracci likes this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I had not thought of NA when I bought it. Were you saying Hawaiian is NA?

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No, the center of antler is spongy, as can be seen on the back of the pendant. I did notice that some of the cracks seem to be continuous, but I think that is just a coincidence. You do not get that smooth a surface in the middle of antler.

stracci likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

So the silver is to hide the seam between the two pieces. I agree the center looks more like bone or ivory. I hope it's not Ivory..

6. DragonflyWink

Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thanks, Mikey. They look like red glass to me. To be sure you can test one by putting a drop of lemon juice on it. If you see bubbles appear, it is likely to be coral, if they don't it is glass.
    The silvertone beads and clasp are base metal.
    It looks like a 'surfer' necklace to me. They often have those shell discs, which are a bit like heishi beads, but are actually based on Hawaiian jewellery. Many have glass beads too, and marine or maritime themed pendants. They often have hook clasps, which are used all over the world. You can find them in any surf shop or in souvenir shops in coastal towns or resorts.
    I think the Hawaii story is very plausible.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  8. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

9. stracci

Yup! looks like ivory to me......

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I don't think it's NA. I think it's a fantasy piece. None of the parts gel into an attractive whole, in my opinion only.

KSW likes this.
  11. DragonflyWink

Not to my eye - looks to me like an antler slice with either some natural fine lines or cracks, or perhaps even saw or file marks not completely polished out (though they don't seem even enough for that) - here are a couple of scrimshawed antler burrs, so clearly not ivory, with some similar marks around the edges:

antlerscrimshawolotieMN-2.JPG

antlerscrimshawknifehandlekenrichardson-2.JPG

Full view of the front and back of item in question:

antlerslicescrimshawship.jpg

antlerslicescrimshawshipback.jpg

Here are some new, unpolished antler slices, cut straight rather than at a slight angle like the one above:

antlerslicesdeerpromiseland.JPG

antlersliceselkpromiseland.JPG

antlerslicesmoosepromiseland.JPG

~Cheryl

KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I have been struggling with why there would be antler jewelry in Hawaii.

Apparently Axis deer were smuggled into Hawaii and are considered an invasive species.

Any Jewelry, KSW and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  13. stracci

Yes we saw the Axis deer on the side of the road there. I don't know about harvesting their antlers, but there is plenty of scrimshaw in Maui. Ivory, bone, fossilized material, etc.
    However, I think most of the scrimshaw shops may have closed in Lahaina in the past few years.

14. clutteredcloset49

Yes scrimshaw can be done on many materials.

My point was - this is an antler necklace with shells. Back in the 70s, why would they be selling antler jewelry in Hawaii as it wouldn't have been native. Particularly if this was sold as a souvenir piece.
    I didn't think to look to see when deer were introduced to Hawaii.

15. clutteredcloset49

Hmm seems other deer species was a gift in the 1860s from Japan to King Kamahamaha(sp). Also considered a nuisance, because they eat the crops.

16. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so late; interesting piece. Me thinks, perhaps, the pendant is caribou antler, the heishi, Nautilus (hard to find in the 70s, but it's better than most of the flat white-colored shell), the beads Japanese, and the piece made by some guy who was into black powder mountain man reenactment. Ta-da! LOL

clutteredcloset49 and stracci like this.
  17. stracci

Love this! Good answer. You forgot to mention that the mountain man comes down for the Rendezvous and then flies out to Hawaii to catch some waves......:woot:

18. 916Bulldogs123

Wow thank you all very much. i think i got my money back just reading this thread.

19. clutteredcloset49

Wouldn't a mountain man create a covered wagon, or a Grizzly, rather than a ship?

20. 916Bulldogs123

I think stracci meant whaler or fisherman lol

KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted