Featured Russian Silver Box?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marie Forjan, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was very surprised yesterday to see a legitimate Sterling mark on lovely bowl that had been in a donation to the thrift I volunteer at.

Figtree3, IvaPan, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jewish folks are not allowed to be buried with any metal........so either I sell off my stuff........or my wife and daughter get it.........and they get to sell it........

better start selling now !!!!!:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::rolleyes:

Aquitaine, IvaPan, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

did ya snag it ?????

IvaPan likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Are you kidding? We don't to that there. Besides it had not been priced yet.

Aquitaine, IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

r u allowed once it's priced....???

6. komokwa

hey....I didn't say to steal it !!:p

7. Bakersgma

We cannot buy something that has not been on the floor for at least an hour in which we have been open.

Aquitaine, Figtree3, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  8. komokwa

sounds fair.......thank you...!!

now scuttle on over there and hide it behind some new pots and pans...!

:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::nailbiting::nailbiting:

just kidding..................................................................... kinda ;)

Aquitaine and IvaPan like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Truer words were never spoken!!!

Between here & the old eBay boards I have lost count of the number of things that I wouldn't have looked at twice if I had not seen the piece in someone's post. :happy::happy:

I'm just curious does he sell it to buyers at scrap or a little above or does he price each individual item?

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I actually didn’t know that! Hope you don’t have any tattoos!

At least if they know what’a silver and what can be scrapped vs. sold for collector value they can save it for an opportune time. ….Or sell next big spike.

11. komokwa

No, Sir...no tats !!

I try to mark the stuff I have.....but wife is mostly disinterested in my stuff.....and daughter is a space cadet when it comes to any art that's not her art ...:(

Aquitaine, J Dagger and IvaPan like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

We're trying to liquidate a lot of our better items,the kids don't get it.Folks from our generation all collected something.
    It's great youngsters at least enjoy MCM,not much else-but at least that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    J Dagger, IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  13. bosko69

Maybe the absence of young collectors is why 2 S.Army, 2 St.Vincent's & 1 Discovery Shop have closed here in the last few years ?
    The metro population here's 2.2 million.

14. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Surprisingly enough, there are more and more young people buying stuff at the flee markets and antique shops here. Kind of hype.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The '80s really reduced the quantity of antique silver available. I saw people lined up around a city block waiting to get to a scrapper.

There's very little pre-18th C French silver because the government of the day required it to be melted down to finance the military.

This is exactly what would happen with my relatives. They wouldn't even look at it: they'd just toss it. Call in Davey so they wouldn't have to be distracted from the day's baseball game.

IvaPan, kyratango, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

He prices everything individually, he has a good business selling gold and silver jewelry to mostly tourists.

I can usually talk him down to just over scrap when I buy, but when I brought in something to sell he really low balled me! I took it somewhere else :)

Aquitaine, IvaPan, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  17. bosko69

The early 80's met a kid working at our local mom & pop market who'd been saving customers silver coins for years.He was probably 25,he bought a house when the Hunt Bros ran up the price of silver in the 70's.
    That's what I call a collector !

Aquitaine, IvaPan, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I hope you were able to "talk him down to just over scrap" on this one!! :D:D:D

IvaPan and J Dagger like this.
  19. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

How do you mark it? Like literally in what way are you doing it? I’d like to start doing that but sticky stuff is sticky and tying little tags to things sounds like a lot of work.

20. komokwa

post it notes 'super sticky' is my paper of choice .;)
    it can be cut to size......using only the thick band of ....sticky part...for smaller items, or cut down to the needed size and folded so enuf sticky...sticks to the item.

if the surface is not flat ...crunching the sticky part will most often still give the required adhesion .....

The little tags work too....with string attached .....if there's a place to tie it on....or u can just drop it in a salt shaker , or vesta.....or between silver and glass ...of a salt cellar ......

I'm actively thinking about placing certain smalls in those flat sealable plastic bag/sleeves.....where the tag would work too.:happy:

I once tried listing certain lots on a file card or cards.....but then I had to keep track of ....the piece I sold, or gave to family members , or....... that didn't work out well.

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted