Russian Papier-Mâché Decorative Lacquer Box, Troika (or is it Troyka?) Scene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Makes sense, they copied the Palekh style.

dude, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  2. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

@Figtree3 thanks for tagging me. I agree with you. It's Mstera, The Little Humpback Horse fairy tale and А.Ю. (A. Yu.) as initials

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

My pleasure. Thanks for the info!

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. dude

dude Well-Known Member

The kind of great feedback on this one is what keeps me hooked on this site. Here's what I have in summary so far with all of your help. Please set me straight if any part is incorrect . .

- It's a Modern (1990 on) egg-based tempera painted, Palekh-style papier-mâché box from Mstera, Russia.

- The first word signed is the village northeast of Moscow and one of the Russian art centers, Mstera (which confuses me because I thought the Russian word for this village is мстерия, and that's not exactly what's on the box).

The sig continues, "конек-горбуное," or "The Little Humpbacked Horse" in English, a19th-century tale and the subject matter of the painting.

-Finally, the artist's initials А.Ю. (A. Yu.) are there. I wonder who that can be?

My biggest question: What's the value $$ range for this "small"?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  5. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

The village's name is pronounced Mstyora (Мстёра in Russian but the two dots are usually omitted, thus the confusion in pronunciation). Mstera is an alternative spelling but pronunciation is the same

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and dude like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted