Featured Russian Lacquer Boxes

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Jan 10, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you for those sites fig, I will check them out:)
    very nice komokwa! Great idea for showing other example here. If you have any please post them @SBSVC, @Any Jewelry or anyone else:)
    I haven't dug out the rest of mine but the 3 shown have no dates on them, the others I don't know until I look at them. I don't know how old but don't expect them to have much age. I have figured out that two marked 'Xoynu' or 'Xoyna' are Kholui, not sure about the 3rd one yet. I think the hard part will be trying to figure out the fairy tale scene on the front of them.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can't see most of the writing on them from your pics, except initials or name of the artists on a couple. I, or others, might be able to help if you can get a focused picture of the writing. I know it will be hard. These often have the name of the fairy tale / folk tale written on them also.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Figtree3

5. komokwa

That was my research....but good to have it confirmed....

& thanks for the artists name !! :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I meant to get back to this topic weeks ago, but life happens. I'm not looking for ID's or anything - my only real question is about the crackling damage.

Anyway, here are a few of mine, badly photographed today (I'm having severe mobility issues at the moment & couldn't get down far enough to take decent shots!) Aside from the damage on the last 2 shown, there are no dings or chips among this group - just my bad photography!
    img0 (32).jpg
    img0 (33).jpg
    img0 (36).jpg
    img0 (40).jpg

And here are a couple of the "crackled" ones:
    img0 (38).jpg
    img0 (37).jpg

Any input would be welcomed!

cxgirl, wenna, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  7. komokwa

I like old man winter .....that's a strong scene...!

the 1st crackled box looks old.....and maybe the varnish quality was not up to snuff....or the box was exposed to too much sun or moisture...... WAG !!!

8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I was happy to see this thread come back! Here are the boxes I have. The rectangular one on the right is about 3 1/4" wide by 2 1/4". It is signed on the back...hoping someone can identify the place where it is made? The smaller rectangular one is signed by the artist. Likewise, the hexagonal one is signed and may include location but it is sooooo tiny. Hope you enjoy seeing these!

IMG_4076 (1024x765).jpg IMG_4078 (1024x765).jpg IMG_4080 (1024x765).jpg IMG_4081 (1024x765).jpg IMG_4084 (1024x765).jpg IMG_4075 (1024x765).jpg

9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wenna, they're lovely! (I have a couple of the tiny ones, too - I didn't get to photograph them, tho. I think they're very sweet!)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  10. Figtree3

Wenna, the part in quotation marks is the title of the piece: "Fantasy"

Under that it says ручная работа, which means "handmade"

The name of the artist is in the first line. I'm not positive of some of the letters, but it might say Авгютина И, which would be I. Avgiutina. That seems a rather unusual name, but what I'm identifying as a "t" may be something different. See how in the quoted title of the piece there is what looks like a lower-case "m" with a line over it? That is actually a lower-case "t." However, there is no line over that middle part in the artist's name, so it could definitely be something else. It could be Авгюишна instead, but I don't find that as a name, either.

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

12. Selfdriving

Selfdriving New Member

I have 3 boxes I'm trying to identify. 2 are very old, 1 more recent. Here are some pics

Thanks for the help! IMG_8868.jpg IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_8838.jpg Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.53.49 PM.jpg IMG_8856.jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @Selfdriving.
    All three are Russian. I love the ship.
    The one with the musicians was made in Palekh, but I can't read the signature very well. They have been through the wars, haven't they?
    Are there signatures on the sides or bottom of the other boxes?

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Figtree3

Too bad about the damage to each. And I also can't read the whole signature.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Selfdriving

Selfdriving New Member

I tried to capture less fuzzy images of the signature line. Here they are.

Also including a photo of the bottom of the musicians box. It says "Made in Russia".

I cannot find any markings, signatures, etc. on the other 2 boxes.

Where do you think the other two were made? Also, any idea as to age?

Thanks

Kevin IMG_8911.jpg IMG_8911.jpg IMG_8912.jpg IMG_8842.jpg

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very hard to say. For the ship I would say either Mstera or Fedoskino. The girl could be Palekh, but the box doesn't give much away through all the crackle, other than that the girl is carrying pails.
    Maybe others have a better idea.

17. Figtree3

The first three letters of the surname of the person who painted it might be ПАР (PAR, written in capital letters), but otherwise I can't tell. The first initial comes after the surname, I think, and appears to be С (S in our alphabet). Otherwise, I can't tell.

On another look, a guess on the surname is ПАРИЛОВ (Parilov). That is just a guess. Also, there is a П before the surname and that might possibly be the first initial of the person, but maybe not.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Selfdriving

Selfdriving New Member

Thanks for the input. Any idea as to age?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Figtree3

The date 1931 is written on the front of it (the one with the dancers). I don't know about the other two.

20. Selfdriving

Selfdriving New Member

I thought that might be a date...thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted