Roughly when was this photograph taken?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Lloyd, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a 1921 article from Women's Home Companion that addresses just that problem: what to wear when you're a "tad" older.

Debora

FORUM Older.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The clothing is from early in the 20th century, as has been mentioned. As also mentioned, sometimes older people wore clothing past their times of being in fashion. However, with everybody doing the same, I'm thinking the photo is early 20th century.

Here's one of my typical questions: does the card mount have any photographer identification or any writing on it at all?

Another question: what is the size?

Oh, and is there any chance this was taken in Europe? Just a vibe I'm getting. It might not have been.

I'm actually glad that you started a new thread for this because this now focuses on just the one photo, which was kind of neglected in the last discussion.

cxgirl, Lloyd, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The other thing to consider is whether the people in the photo were city dwellers or from farming/middle America.
    City folk would have been more influenced by the need to be fashionable.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree with Debora .. "Edwardian" .. Joy.

Lloyd and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah... "I agree with Debora." My favorite words right behind "You're right."

Debora

Lloyd, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Figtree3

:):)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. ConnieSue

ConnieSue New Member

I compared it to dated family photos that I have. 1900 to 1910 seems about right. I also think the "poppy" is something in his pocket. Looks like glasses or something similar.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Excellent suggestion there @gregsglass! I've just had another look at the original photo and it does seem to be some sort of flower. It's definitely not a poppy anyway I think

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Another excellent suggestion to what the mystery thing on his jacket could be! Thank you for that

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Thank you @Debora for sharing those article segments, very useful to see.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The photo was taken somewhere in the county of Cardiganshire in Wales... Judging by the style of house it could easily be located in a town or village, a more populated area I think though.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ah interesting what you said. From what you and others have said I'm really thinking it is an Edwardian era photo. The photographer is down as 'Harold Squibbs, Cardigan'... so in Wales, UK. The size of the whole board is approx 24x30cm. Lloyd

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Hi all, I've just made a higher resolution copy of the photograph. Unfortunately it seems that I couldn't edit the image in my first post! :( I've therefore attached it to this post.I also had to reduce the image quality to be within the upload limit!
    Webp.net-compress-image (6).jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you click on the picture, it enlarges nicely.
    Can clearly see, the gentleman does not have a pocket, so cannot be glasses, as I thought. Looks like a Margarite type flower.
    The quality of the suits also stand out. The two men on either end are in better quality clothing. The woman on the far right aslo appears to be in newer fashion.

cxgirl and Lloyd like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3 of the guys have what appears to be club collars......but interesting that none are wearing hats.....

Lloyd likes this.
  16. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Ah good observation that the gentleman doesn't actually have a pocket on his jacket. I wonder what the occasion was for him to possibly be wearing a flower on his lapel...

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Thanks all for your help. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas to why this photograph was taken? i.e. the occasion... Also, I can't work out what the connection/relationship between the people are! The woman (2nd from left) seem older than the rest...whereas the 'couple' far right seem considerably younger! I can't work it all out!

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The women look to me to have similar enough faces to be sisters?

I usually think of a man wearing a boutonniere for something like a wedding. Father of the bride?

So, if your family is anxious to identify these people, you think they might be relatives, right? Do you have any knowledge of Welsh ancestry? Anything at all?

Lloyd likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There is a resemblance between the women. Perhaps they're sisters and the men are their (long suffering) husbands?

Debora

Lloyd likes this.
  20. Figtree3

By chance, somebody wrote a book about Harold Squibbs, and it's been digitized by Google. I hope the item under this link will be visible to you. I've learned that at least some Google books are not visible to people outside the U.S.

https://books.google.com/books?id=J0h4BgAAQBAJ&pg=PT30&lpg=PT30&dq="harold+squibbs"+"cardigan"+"wales"&source=bl&ots=eNoFnvY3qe&sig=OOVCtA_W4WRUxlIicVbacH8MW-M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiznr6IjNvZAhWQyIMKHe5dCAsQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q="harold squibbs" "cardigan" "wales"&f=false

I scrolled through this looking at the chronology of his life. He moved to Cardigan and got into the photography business with his brother in about 1907. For a while he worked from home (not sure if that work was photographic). He opened his first photography studio about 1910 at No. 51 St Mary Street. By 1914 he had moved to 38 High Street, Cardigan. He later (date not given) moved to a place called Bank House, more centrally located on High Street in Cardigan.

He passed away in the 1940s. The book was apparently written by a relative.

The book or treatise is titled South West Wales Through the Lens of Harry Squibbs (Vol. 1) South Cardiganshire. The author is named Pam Fudge. It was published in 2014 by Amberley, a company that publishes local and specialty histories.

I put all of this in just in case you could not get to the book through the above link. If the card mount for your photo has an address on it, you might be able to get close on the date?

Draft saved Draft deleted