Rescued Film Project

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I found a roll of film in my mother's old Olympus a couple of years back, and then tracked down a local company who developed and printed it. The images - colour - were remarkably good.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The guy is only offering a service.

If he gets the copyright to the photo's......that's payment.
    He works with photo's so he knows what he can make money with.

3. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I guess it's no different than when I sell a gazillion photo negatives to someone - I know at least some of those people are looking for ones they can resell.

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I didn't know the guy did it for gratis? I would still want my negs back and would pay. ;)

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Gratis.......but he keeps the negs & the rights to them for commercial purposes !

That's not Gratis !

6. spirit-of-shiloh

.....ok....his work is gratis.....with ulterior motives :p

7. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

This might be a good service for people who have old film and no idea what might be on it or whether anything will develop properly. There are still a lot of places developing old film, but the average charge I have come across is around $10 a roll.

The problem to be aware of with this service is that they are claiming ALL rights exclusively, which means you could wind up having to license that photo of great grandmother back from him if you want it for a family history book. At the least I would want, as the owner of the film, to retain a non-exclusive right to the pictures. I would rather grant him a non-exclusive right to them. He can put them in his library of photos to license, but so can I.

If this would be of concern to you, another avenue for development of old film is a local photographers club - hobby or professional. They might have someone who would do them for a donation to the club, with no rights issues involved.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

elarnia, a photographers club is a great idea. Many years ago I met a teen and she was taking a photography class,the whole works. She saw an antique pic of my Granddad and it was on an oval cardboard falling apart. I entrusted her with the pic as she offered to make copies for me.
    The copies were fantastic,after I saw her work I gave her some other pics and some negs from the 40's and she made me pics I could give to my family. ;)

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I live in a small town - not quite 7,000 people. Everyone knows everyone and so far I haven't found anyone who does this. I'll have to look further afield.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Bev, I've used this lab before for black and white film developing. I think Hunt's Camera still does it. You can mail the film, you don't have to go in person. FYI, It is more expensive than developing colored film.

http://www.colortekofboston.com/hours-contact/

I also found this one in Orleans.

http://capecodphotoandart.com/store-information/list-of-services/

I have a complete dark room that I never unpacked when I moved here. I always did my own black and white developing and printing. I have developing tanks for almost every size film including sheets. I just don't have the space or time to set it up so when I found a roll, I sent it in to the Boston Lab and had it developed and I was happy with the results.

11. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't want to give up the copyright.

spirit-of-shiloh and komokwa like this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Mike from CCP&A just bought Tree's Place and I was at the Chamber of Commerce open house there a few nights ago. I never even thought about them. I buy all my colored pencil supplies from them, too. Doh.

Draft saved Draft deleted