Rare Hitchcock Chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by michelle.robertson, Dec 7, 2016.

1. michelle.robertson

michelle.robertson New Member

The cutout eagle is exactly what makes it so unique. I found this picture (it's the only one I could find online) on the facebook page for Used Hitchcock Furniture with this caption "Very rare eagle rush chair with a bolster top. This is only the second one of these I have seen. I know they were marketed a while to the boy scouts who made eagle scout so they could not have sold many."
    I sent the photo of my chair to that company and they replied with an offer to purchase it, but no additional information.
    11232124_868758359869891_1201233826196676787_n.jpg

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. michelle.robertson

I did see that article yesterday. I definitely think it's an authentic Hitchcock chair, maybe there just weren't many produced. I did check the limited edition chairs too, I thought that might be where I'd find something, but no luck.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was not doubting it as authentic, michelle. Just saying how odd the cut out seems.

4. michelle.robertson

Oh gosh, I didn't think you were! I actually was doubting it!! But then when I re-read that article that you shared, I felt more sure that it was authentic. So sorry about that...I wasn't implying that you were doubting it:) And I totally agree that the cutout is the odd thing about the chair! That's why I'm so curious about it.

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I also know it is definitely a Hitchcock chair. I was hoped by narrowing the date down, I might be able to find more info on it.

--- Susan

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting, SIS. I wonder whether the Hitchcock in quotes means they don't know for sure?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's one hell of a nice chair......

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

So Hitchcock offered to buy your chair? If they had said that to me my next question would be simply "how much am I offered," what've ya got to lose? "Rare" is so over-used in this business it is almost meaningless now.

10. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Perhaps a Bicentennial connection?

I think Baker's may be on the right track here.

This photo is from the same folks you apparently contacted, Michelle. It's shown under the PAST SALES category on their website:
    http://www.usedhitchcockfurniture.com/4436.html

Hitchcock cut out Eagle chair ++.JPG

I messed around with the photo to see what it said on the front, below the eagle, and it appears to be:
    1776 - LIBERTY - 1976. That would certainly point to the Bicentennial.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I did contact the manufacturer, I spoke to a younger man who said he didn't have any information on the older chairs but that he'd ask around. Not much help.

Michelle, I meant to mention that I was not at all surprised that the person at Hitchcock had no info for you.

The original Hitchcock Chair Company went out of business in 2006. The place sat vacant for a few years before 2 local antiques/restoration people "purchased the Hitchcock name, plans, and artwork. Their goal is to continue the Hitchcock legacy, bringing Hitchcock furniture into the 21st century while maintaining the quality and integrity of Lambert Hitchcock's original dream."
    (from: http://www.hitchcockchair.com/)

The place today is certainly not what it was, and the new owners likely have no real records of the company's past production.

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I went to that link. Frankly I'd be wary of anyone using the name "New Paragraph." And with all his "don't do this" and "don't do that" he must be a real curmudgeon, and possibly an axe-murderer.

13. michelle.robertson

There was no need to ask, he immediately offered me $250 - not bad since I paid $10 for it:) I really am just not even sure I want to sell it, it's a great chair and matches my desk nicely. I was mostly just curious about it.

14. michelle.robertson

You're probably right, "new paragraph" is most certainly an alias, and why would any non-axe-murderer need an alias??? So glad to have found this discussion forum, it has basically saved my life!:)

Figtree3, Bakersgma and say_it_slowly like this.
  15. michelle.robertson

I did not know that, and that makes a lot of sense...I was pretty confused when he was so dismissive about it. Thanks for sharing that info!

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh yes welcome Michelle:)

I have a more standard black Hitchcock chair as my desk chair too. Mine is far more worn but I like it!

17. komokwa

1st, it's pretty,
    2nd...ten bucks
    3rd...if it fits your tush and is comfy.....
    4th....enjoy it for many years to come......& now you have a story to go with it...and a benchmark price if you ever decide to sell it !

win, win,win.......& win !!!!

michelle.robertson and Bakersgma like this.
  18. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the story about it being a Boy Scout item is a day dream. I can see it happening since there are two arrows but the eagle is NOT a Boy Scout Eagle.
    JMHO being an Eagle Scout since the late 1940s. Those arrows are not the Order of the Arrow symbol. It is a fabulous looking chair and good luck using it.
    greg

SBSVC likes this.
  19. komokwa

I was referring to the story of the company.......but the scout story ....well i've heard worse !

Draft saved Draft deleted