Featured Random online research

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Oct 23, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

let us know if they have any information for you:)

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks cxgirl, I was so focused on research, I totally skipped the link (I shouldn't have)

cxgirl and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

First... one of the families I regularly research has an important figure named "Chalmer D Blossom."

That's some kind of name, right?

Turns out there were two completely unrelated Chalmer D Blossoms in the world. Fortunately for my sanity, they are not of the same generation and they lived on opposite sides of the country.

But when I first started sorting them out, the commonalities near drove me mad. How could there be two CHALMER D BLOSSOMs with so much in common?!

That said, this is an interesting puzzle and I will play a bit (at the moment, I do NOT believe a cup was gifted after death... but I have seen odd things in my research and won't rule it out completely). :joyful:

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  7. Jivvy

wow, if nothing else, Mrs. Darling was quite the character.

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your wisdom, and your thoughts on the subject. I certainly recognize that I could be totally wrong, but more than anyone I was hoping someone else would look at the bread crumbs (hints) of the story.

cxgirl likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The suppressed writer in me was inspired, and started outlining a novel in my mind - privileged young woman in the mid 19th century finds herself in a family way without benefit of a husband, so makes one up and conveniently has him die a hero, later becoming so invested in the story that she spends 30 years seeking benefits for his service, losing her son along the way to a dark and sordid murder conspiracy...

Who is the "someone else" you want to look at your research?

Since she was their founder, perhaps the Daughters of 1812 might be more interested in the item than the D.A.R...

~Cheryl

cxgirl, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I think that is what happened:)

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  11. Jivvy

There are actually news reports of a recently deceased "Colonel Darling" in 1863. EDIT: Correction, this is reference to a "General Darling", not "Colonel" - doesn't make it unrelated, just trying to keep the facts straight.

Haven't made a connection to Edward Irving Sr, though (the articles are about the military replacement and no full name is given for the deceased).

Also a founder of the DAR.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  12. Jivvy

Oh wait, articles say "founder of the Daughters of the Revolution and the United States Daughters of 1812."

Maybe not DAR.:bag:

13. Jivvy

BTW, Edward Irving Junior's will/probate papers gives an accounting of his possessions and this is the closest we come to finding anything relevant:

Number of items: 11
    Description of Items: plated forks, some odd knives, forks and spoons, some odd cups and saucers

Haven't tracked down his wife's will, yet (she died right after marrying the doctor).

14. Jivvy

Bloody hell. The military Darling who died in 1863 was in England.

Scratch that one.

15. Jivvy

So here's an interesting bit. Ancestry keeps telling me that the child listed below as "Sophronia" is probably our Flora. I don't know about that.

But I am strongly leaning toward this being her family.

And when I scan the entire "household," I go hmmmm...

temp06.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that is her name, the link Mr Nate posted in the first post of this thread:)
    https://usdaughters1812.org/mrs-flora-adams-darling/

Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted