Featured Questions: Filgree scrimshaw bracelet marked "CHINA SILVER"

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by northernridge, Jan 6, 2016.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well, you could always start the auction at $ 99......and see if it goes for more...

one bid and your happy...more bids...more happy !
    No bids......and you know 99 may be too high a price !

2. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

Thank you for your good advice!

komokwa likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I agree, run as a auction. With an unknown value for the most part, that is prudent, at least the first time around.

4. northernridge

I appreciate your input, Lucille!

5. northernridge

Get a load of this. Last night, eBay removed the listing saying it violated their ivory policy. I had been re-listing it every Monday for at least a month up until this. (I called it "bone" in the listing.) Most recently, I'd dropped the price to $89. It always had watchers and I imagined it would eventually sell.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might list it again without interference, I'm all ears.

And thanks!

6. komokwa

Someone doesn't like you and reported you....and eBlech in their unbridled wisdom swooped in and made a judgement you can't fight !

Put the bracelet in a drawer .....and use it as a Christmas gift come Dec !:happy:

UNLESS....you want to start a fight with eBay......which you'll lose.:sour::sour:

7. northernridge

Thank you (as always) for weighing in. I guess I'll just return it to my client. No way do I want to fight.

But what if I removed the word bone?

It's funny, too, my other bone bracelet is still listed. Go figure.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I believe these days eBay wants sellers to put in the type of bone, so maybe that was the problem?

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've heard of ivory sweaters being pulled, and they yanked a piece of mine that was cow bone because I didn't specify what species of cow it was.:wacky::confused::confused::confused: Some days you just have to give in to the stupid.

10. northernridge

You're right. That's what I read in the policy notes they sent. But I have no idea how I could ever know what type it is. Alas, I'll return it to the owner.

11. northernridge

Speaking of the owner (the person I'm selling for) last Monday I listed her fabulous string of jade beads. The photos and description were so good, she saw the listing and wrote to me, "You're a good saleswoman. Please end the listing and give them back." Can you believe that? I had to laugh.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

Me too.....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

(sigh) Figures! One more reason I almost never do commission sales.

14. northernridge

I appreciate how you feel, evelyb. But I'm happy to say I've been very lucky with selling for clients. I've been doing it for years and it really helped to get me through the lean years (even though I do have a few other stories—ha ha). Now I do it less intensely because when SS kicked in, it made me happily more comfy than I'd been.

That said, this client is new, and my kindness about this incident is likely to work in my favor in the long run. I think it's pretty obvious that I worked hard for no compensation, and I find that goodwill can go a long way.

Always glad to see your name pop up!

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted