Featured Quarter Sawn Oak Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DrJCH, Jan 2, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful table Sedona.As Brad said before,there are big differences price/quality-wise btw Gustav,L&JG Stickley,Stickley Bros,and generally the later stuff's worth less and can be of inferior quality.

judy and DrJCH like this.
  2. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Correct. I used the word “Stickley” loosely. The table in the link I posted is actually Gustav Stickley.

We have inherited several pieces of furniture from at least four different great-grandparents from all sides of the family, including multiple dressers of various makers made from circa 1920-1940. One set of my husband’s great grandparents owned a furniture store in Los Angeles before the War, so we even have his father’s Art Deco dresser from when he was a boy back then.

The Stickley pieces (a low dresser, a high boy dresser, and a sewing table with leaves that drop on the sides) have a noticeably better quality than all of them. All of the sides of a drawer, and the bottoms, are solid wood, as is the piece of wood at the back of the dresser (the back facing the wall). Perhaps it’s because they are pre-Depression pieces. In addition, the finish of the wood itself is wonderful. That is, even before you open a drawer, you can tell the quality just by looking at it.

Both the materials and the craftsmanship on the Stickley pieces are much better than any other piece we own from that era.

Any Jewelry, DrJCH and verybrad like this.
  3. DrJCH

DrJCH New Member

Thanks for the link Sedona! I contacted the Stickley Museum in New York, and the director confirmed that the piece I have is an Albert Stickley table from 1911. Thrilled to finally have an answer after so many months even though it isn't a G. Stickley. Supposedly, a Stickley dealer should have an authorized technician who can fix and evaluate Stickley pieces, but the dealer in Salt Lake City does not. Can anyone recommend an online appraiser or is it just pointless if not evaluated in person. Still trying to decide what to do with this piece.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

in person is always the best...but maybe a furniture action house could offer up at least a ballpark..

Draft saved Draft deleted