Featured Printing block - almost too good to be real

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by evelyb30, Mar 6, 2020.

1. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

If it, including the block it's mounted on, was precisely .918 inches thick, it's what old-school printers call "type-high", meaning it could have been printed with standard type. If so, one would expect the plywood it's on to be inky - while the printing process is not so messy, the clean-up is. If not, a decorative piece, or re-mounted. The sharp edges of the routed-out areas (they kind of look like a contour map with three depths) in the empty spaces argue for actual use - someone took some time to do that: a simple photo-etched repro would not have that sharpness. They were still making zinc plates like this as late as 1997, which is the last time I had one made, and I see the company is still in business, so it might be newer still.

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It does look legit in person, but not old. I think some steam punker had one made so that they could do old school letterpress with it. It's in vogue as an art form in some circles.

antidiem and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted