Please help with old bureau

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Oct 15, 2014.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

1910-1920 most likely. Appears to be a nondescript wood stained to mimic mahogany. Could very well be birch but the graining looks a bit like maple as well. Birch would be more common from this time period. Maple is a possibility though and it would not be unheard of for it to contain more than one kind of wood.

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

A tip for getting dents out of carpets caused by castor wheels or furniture legs/feet is to place ice cubes on the dent and allow it to melt.
    When dry the dents vanish.

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Davey,
    Thanks, that was the same hint I was going to give.:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Perform said procedure at the cocktail hour. Then no one will notice.

5. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh,
    They made Bakelite castor cups here in the USA. They were heavy and thick solid brown. Other types of plastic were made that looked like wood or tortiseshell.The ones in the links were made in England. I know nothing about British plastics or even if they copied the Bakelite patent.
    Now I am going to have to investage.:shifty::D:D:D:D:D:D.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Greg, I know memory has a tendency to lie, but I do remember the castors being graduated and that color,probably were from the US.:)My Granddad had some extras in the buffet drawer and I used them for doll dishes, or my brother and I would roll them on the floor.

We were brats. We also took our Mom's meat grinder out to the laundryroom and I remember we ground up apricot leaves and they smelled like almond extract. To this day I can't stand the smell of almond extract. :vomit::yuck:

Draft saved Draft deleted