Photograph of an Inuit Girl

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Stanzerl, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ancestry.com charges a monthly fee, but has a free initial period. I signed up so I could do geneological research on my family, then found it's also great for looking up people for other purposes.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    springfld.arsenal likes this.
  2. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

How would the surface need to look?

This is a picture which shows the detail. DSC02880-1.jpg

3. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thanks Pat! I guess I will look into it :)

Pat P likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What a beautiful photo!

Stanzerl likes this.
  5. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The closeup looks like a photo to me, but I'm not an expert and it's hard to tell online. At least it doesn't appear to have dots, so isn't likely to be an inexpensive reproduction.

Stanzerl likes this.
  7. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

I'm a total newbie, but I'm pretty sure it is a very old photograph. It has quite a bit of residue of some sort of orange stuff. Looks like glue from tape, but it has this old feel to it.

Do you know any experts who could possibly help me?

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If you have a photography shop nearby, I be they'd be able to tell. Or maybe an art gallery that sells photographs?

Or maybe other members here can help...

9. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here's your Pic!! A short description:
    "Eskimo girl named Katesarina wearing anorak circa 1912-1916
    Photographer: H. G. Kaiser, Arctic Studio, Nome
    Caption: Katesarina."
    http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/alaskawcanada/id/5665/rec/1

Here are other Alaskan pics by Kaiser in the State of Alaska's Digital Library. The 1st & 3rd are portraits similar to this wonderful one. It seems these digital pics were taken from c1905-c1920s - some are dated, some with a timeframe and some not dated.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/search/...ode/exact!all/conn/and!and/order/title/page/1

--- Susan

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have my photo from CX in my hand &......I'm happy with that textured surface....but like Pat says.....get it in front of someone who'll know for sure.

I have some paintings.....and it took me 20 years to find out that the artist made numbered prints using the same images.

Keep looking...it was used for that ad....so....

Stanzerl likes this.
  11. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thanks Susan! That is really great info! The Eskimo Girl picture that you found has additional writing on top of HG Kaiser's name. I wonder what that could be?

I love this picture. While I bought it my husband was waiting with our children in the car. And when I got back and showed him this picture he gave me this strange look he always gets when he thinks I'm crazy and couldn't understand what I want to do with it. Well, my explanation was: "I just like it!: :)

yourturntoloveit and Pat P like this.
  12. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thanks Komo, I will take it to our local photo shop tomorrow and keep you all posted of what the person there will tell me!

komokwa and Pat P like this.
  13. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

I finally managed to go to my local framer (who also has a small gallery) and he said that this a reproduction (picture taken from picture) most likely from the 70s.

Honestly, I don't mind, I just love the picture and I would get it again tomorrow, if I could :) But thanks for everyone's help! I enjoyed this very much!!! :)

Figtree3, Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted