Peg Constructed Tavern Table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Deux Coeurs, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

Beautiful table, James. Thank you for the info!

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what is sometimes shown here as Old American - and ridiculously young with 300 years only - are all copies of really old European techniques.
    this "tea table" is a typical Schragentisch construction with an altered form of top.
    https://www.google.ch/search?q=schr...=img&ei=TNu7Yc3pO42yaK3GjeAO&bih=527&biw=1184

but certain people try to impose fairytales of a tradition that is in reality only a potpourri of European styles and techniques.

KikoBlueEyes and Deux Coeurs like this.
  3. Deux Coeurs

Deux Coeurs Well-Known Member

Very informative, Fid. Thank you!

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love your explanations. Each time is a teachable moment. Thank you so much.

James Conrad and Deux Coeurs like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is truly great that you have a table similar to the one Deux Couers has, so we can see the differences in construction. I am always fascinated by the level of detail that you see. I try to keep this all in mind and am getting better at rejecting pieces immediately. Not that I could spot the actual good stuff, but at least, I am walking away faster. Thank you very much.

James Conrad and Deux Coeurs like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Had is the operative word there, sold it earlier this year.
    Didn't make any money on it but didn't lose any either so good deal all around. I didn't have a good space for it here so it had to go.
    Purchased it a couple of years ago at a small country auction in SC that had a "Dave the slave" jug at the same sale and got an education on how nutty pottery folk are. :happy:

Deux Coeurs likes this.
  7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

First off, although European history is much older than American, living in a house that had furniture is a relatively recent event, even in Europe.
    In England for example, prior to the Tudor Age (16th century), most people lived in a round hut with a fire in the center with no chimney, and a dirt floor. They slept on a bed of hay on the ground with little to no furniture beyond a stool or bench. Life expectancy was only 35 years old in this period.
    America was founded in the early 17th century (Jamestown, 1607) so let us not get carried away here about the history of old furniture. For most people (excluding royalty) a house with furniture is a fairly recent human luxury.:)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Deux Coeurs likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed about the deep knowledge of certain people...
    [​IMG]
    built 1526...
    [​IMG]
    built around 1287...
    [​IMG]
    built 1250...
    si tacuisses...

antidiem and Jeff Drum like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

or how's about Arezzo ? some remnants known from Etruscan times (600 BC) and today's main parts from around 800 to 1200 AD. lovely, not round and not wooden.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted