Paul Revere Reproduction Bowl

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Dec 20, 2019.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Revere bowls were produced before the Sons of Liberty bowl was acquired by the MFA in '49 - it was first exhibited there in 1906, and replicas became popular presentation pieces not too long after. While Revere bowls were very popular in the mid 20th century (and, so far as I know, still made), I know that the shape was produced in various sizes by several manufacturers fairly early in the 20th century - clean lines were in fashion, as were colonial and historic repros, and while not all were stamped as 'Revere Reproductions', some were...

1917: reverebowl1917dlow.JPG

1922:
    reveresaltad1922housegarden.JPG

1940:

reverebowls1940bennett.JPG

1940:

reverebowltrophy1940bennett.JPG

Gorham Revere bowl with 1942 date code: https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/72/419/lot/16334

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Good to know. That's the difference between real scholarship and market research.:bookworm::pompous: I guess we can only say that there were a lot MORE of them made after 1949.

Your link to the aspire auction is a good example of how bad the market for sterling is. Sold for less than scrap value. The 9" Gorham bowl sold for $80 at aspire (I don't see the date but assume the scrap price was about what it is now?). The 6" bowl I have is 337 grams. Nine inch bowl has to be at least 500 grams, probably more.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Just literally decades of handling silver and researching it...

The Aspire auction was in 2007, believe silver would have been a few dollars less an ounce than now, but would guess it was still under spot.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Bakersgma likes this.
  4. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

As someone else mentioned since it's Philco related maybe a radio collector would dig it. They would probably also have to be a silver collector/admirer to pay north of $350 for it though so that's a small niche. There's probably a few of them out there though. Unless you need to recoup your dough quick it's worth throwing up as a silver Philco collectible and seeing what happens. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I see PR repro bowls in silver plate with pretty modern engravings at thrift stores often. It's still a thing.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me too. They sit. And sit. And sit some more. The pewter is an even harder sell.

aaroncab likes this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

At auction unless being bought by a collector silver sold as scrap will typically go for 10-25% or more below spot in my experience. The buyer needs a margin. Sometimes guys will pay closer to spot just to claim their turf. That or they know a piece may have more value as an antique. Gotta leave room for buyers fees and profit though.

edit: I’m sure you know this Cheryl just pointing it out for the sake of it.

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted